LL Project 2015

A year of new languages!
It would be amazing to learn a new language to which I don’t have any affinity, studying only for fun and then have a look what will happen during the learning process. If I get used to a new sound of an unknown country, culture, want to travel there, perhaps find penpals for language exchange, etc.
Before starting this private challenge, I have planned for the first part of the year to get finaly “fluent” in my actual target language Italian. My plan is to give everything to understand Italian radio, no matter what subject! I thougth about doing some hard work for 3 month.
After these 90 days, I have in mind to reactivate my French and try to reach a good level, again during a 3 month period.
So, until july, I have already time enough to discover new interesting language(s) to start with…

What are your projects?

1 Like

Hello Lisel!

I started to learn French even though I didn’t like the language too much, but now I love it! I don’t know what happened, but I’m happy it did.

As for my plan, I will be Advanced in Russian by the end of the year and I’ll improve my French.

Good luck with Italian!

Thank you andrewdobre!
I’m already “at work”, listening to Italian besides doing other things.
It’s funny, last year I really thought about learning Romanian, but the course with which I wanted to start was only available in French! So I dropped the idea at first sight.
Bonne chance avec le Francais and your Russian project!

Thanks!

Italian is related to Romanian. It’s easier to learn Romanian when you already speak Italian. So, who knows? :slight_smile:

Have a nice day!

Excellent to hear other people’s plans for the new year! Sounds great Lisel. By the way I get what you mean by “understand the radio, no matter what subject” but when I hear this I always can’t help thinking: I can’t do that in English! :slight_smile:

My plan: keep moving forward poco a poco in Spanish as well as making plenty of progress with Kichwa. Hopefully I’ll have a strong intermediate level by the end of the year.

“I don’t know what happened, but I’m happy it did.”
I know what happened to you :slight_smile: You proved one of Steve’s principles (and a French saying) - 𝒍’𝒂𝒑𝒑𝒆𝒕𝒊𝒕 𝒗𝒊𝒆𝒏𝒕 𝒆𝒏 𝒎𝒂𝒏𝒈𝒆𝒂𝒏𝒕.

“In language learning, 𝒍’𝒂𝒑𝒑𝒆𝒕𝒊𝒕 𝒗𝒊𝒆𝒏𝒕 𝒆𝒏 𝒎𝒂𝒏𝒈𝒆𝒂𝒏𝒕 - The appetite comes with eating. The more I learn a language, the more I get caught up in the culture and way of thinking of the language.”

The book has a lot of useful advices and interesting facts, anecdotes, and such. A good read if you haven’t read it yet :slight_smile:

1 Like

Jan Feb : 100% Chinese challenge
Mar : interleaving Chinese almost completely. Doing ‘24h’ challenges in several Ls one after the other throughout March, as well as going back to Spanish Portuguese and Russian
Apr May : 80% Chinese, rest maintenance in the others
Jun : 120% Chinese preparatory for Jul-Sep ground mission

Thanks! I will surely read it.

…“By the way I get what you mean by “understand the radio, no matter what subject” but when I hear this I always can’t help thinking: I can’t do that in English! :-)”

You are absolutely right, spcole! :):):slight_smile:
Cross my fingers for your Spanish and Kichwa plan!

My goals:

7,500 words in Russian by April 1st

10,000 words in Russian by June 1st

Read an entire book in Russian by June 1st

Learn 1000 new words and basics of Hebrew or French

Changed my mind! I decided to let go the French plan because I already understand a lot and won’t be lost in France so that I have free space concerning my learning goals:)
Actually I am thinking about Croatian instead of French. As I have already some weeks left to practise Italian, perhaps there will be also Croatian on LingQ.