Lithuanian language

@alandickey A member in this thread has put us in contact with someone he knows who might help with Lithuanian. That being said, there is no planned launch date yet. Everything depends on volunteers adding all the required material, and that can take weeks or it can take years.

3 Likes

For many languages there is no grammar guide and I usually completely forget about the grammar guide anyway. Iā€™ve never used it. Canā€™t the grammar guide be added later? You could temporarily link any decent grammar site instead. Would be great if you could reconsider that requirement and at least temporarily remove that obstacle.

5 Likes

Dear all, My wife (native Lithuanian) and I are trying to summarize Lithuanian grammar for the Grammar Guide. Unfortunately Lithuanian morphology is quite a beast and itā€™s taking some time. Regards,

5 Likes

Hi - Is there any Lithuanian on the cards for 2024 do you think, or will it be longer?
Thanks.

2 Likes

Just letting you know they have added Hindiā€¦but they donā€™t seem to have advertised the fact anywhereā€¦Itā€™s great to see.

2 Likes

Hi Alan,

Adding Lithuanian depends on volunteers adding all the requirements.

That means that Lithuanian could release this year but it may also not, we canā€™t set a date at the moment. If you know anyone able to help with Mini Stories, news feeds, dictionaries, and Grammar Guides for Lithuanian, please send me an email at north@lingq.com and Iā€™ll respond right away.

2 Likes

Hi, are you and your wife still working on it? Is there any progress with the Mini Stories and the recording? I could help with the grammar guide.

2 Likes

Yes, we are working on the grammar guide and hope to update soon. On the other hand, we are not involved in anything else like the Ministories, so I cannot say anything about that, sorry.

2 Likes

Hello, Sahra.

My name is Paulius. I am a Lithuanian teacher and podcast host. Are there any ways that I could help you with the addition of Lithuanian into LingQ. I could help with content creation or maybe in some other ways.

If I could be somehow useful, feel free to connect with me.

My email is pauliusrjuodis@gmail.com

All the best to you and all the Lithuanian learners!

4 Likes

By the way, hereā€™s a link to my podcast for Lithuanian learners. Maybe it will prove useful!

All the best!

4 Likes

Thank you for that podcast, if I ever get to a level where I can understand the basics, ill be sure to go through all of it!

3 Likes

It seems that Sarah doesnā€™t work in LingQ anymore. The one that appears to be in charge now is @nsprung. He has asked for volunteers for materials (news, mini storiesā€¦) to send him an email at north@lingq.com.

AčiÅ« už viską, kad darai už Å”ią gražÄÆ kalbą!

4 Likes

Hi @nsprung ,

are there any news? Whatā€™s still required for Lithianian and whatā€™s in progress?

Is there anything that should be tested or reviewed before it can be uploaded to LingQ for the public?

1 Like

@Cassius90 We havenā€™t had any new progress towards adding Lithuanian. We still need the Mini Stories to be readied, which quality audio by a native speaker.

If you know anyone who can help with this, please have them send me an email at north@lingq .com and Iā€™ll be happy to help.

3 Likes

Dear,

This is difficult for me to understand.

According to Sahra.lingqā€™s message in Sep '23 on this same message thread, Lithuanian ā€œwould probably be the next language to be added, other languages were not ready yetā€

I know Sahra does not work in Lingq anymore, but unless the criteria has changed between Sepā€™23 and now, it seems Lithuanian was ready or almost ready last September.

Then Nsprungā€™s message on Decā€™ 23 that ā€œAt the moment we are still missing a Grammar Guide for Lithuanian. Once a volunteer submits it, we can start to plan launching the language.ā€, which is why I volunteered to submit the grammar (done)

Now however the Ministories are still lacking, which was not mentioned before.

This is not the first time that confusing information was provided about Lithuanian.

In this post: ETA on LingQ 5.0? - #15 by shelbina

Zoran wrote (June 2020) ā€œFor Lithuanian we already have all 60 Mini Stories translated and recorded. Volunteer sent them a few weeks ago.
As soon as we launch LingQ 5.0, Lithuanian will be added.ā€

In this other post: New Languages Added! Icelandic and Armenian - #10 by Jokojoko83

Mark wrote (April 2022) ā€œIt looks like Lithuanian is close. There are some additional requirements that still need to be fulfilled there.ā€

So unless Iā€™m missing something or misinterpreting something, there are messages since 2020 that Lithuanian was ā€œalmost thereā€. And yet new and diverging messages keep coming up.

I feel sad and disappointed about this.

6 Likes

Hi @nsprung, please see above message.

1 Like

@Cassius90 @Jokojoko83 We did in fact update our criteria for adding new languages.

One of the criteria was in fact updated - We increased the standards for the Mini Stories course. Weā€™ve had previous languages added with courses created by volunteers that unfortunately have had a number of issues.

We want to be more certain of the quality of stories we can share. For this reason the Lithuanian stories are not considered ready at the moment. That being said, we do have a volunteer working on them at this moment.

3 Likes