LingQ Power User Webinar

Thank you for the suggestion. It worked out smoothly, very helpful sir eric.

LingQs are also useful in the following situation. When going back to review a lesson (e.g. a mini-story) for maybe the third or fourth time, I sometimes notice that some of the LingQs are still at level 1. I can then tag that LingQ as “difficult” so that I review those LingQs first. This way you also don’t spend time using the SRS for LingQs you’re going to come across and learn naturally through new and old lessons you repeat over and over again.

I read and listen to Spanish a lot outside of LingQ. I would like to save Spanish phrases or words that I do not know into LingQ. I can then work on these phrases and vocabulary with tutors from LingQ or other resources. I like to keep most of my language learning questions in one place. How can I do that?

You can import vocabulary manually or using a csv file. Just hover on the “+” button in the top right corner to find the Import Vocabulary option or go to the Import button on the Vocabulary page.

I received an email that a lingQ (chaeliallen) user edited some content that I shared. How can I find out what edits were made and can I prevent others from editing content that I share. I was surprised to see this since I shared this material some years ago and this is the first time I have seen that sort of message. I would really like to check and make sure that the edits were in fact needed as it was a lot of work to edit and check the content and format it to show up properly in lingQ. so I would like to check whether the edits were actually required. I tried to search for this user but could not find him/her. Thanks.

1 Like

@JanVanderdam If you open that lesson in Edit Lesson mode, you will see additional tab “Original Content” and from there you can revert changes if you prefer. At the moment you can see edited text and original text and approve changes or reject them. We will try to make it easier to identify what exactly was changed in the text.
All Premium members have ability to edit lesson, and this feature is used mostly for correcting typing errors…

1 Like

thank you. It looks clean and useful. I hope it’s as easy to navigate as it looks on the demo.

Does anyone else find the lack of clear instruction and non- intuitive navigation or descriptions to be confusing? I love the idea of learning a new language this way, but when the first activity that pops up is level 2 it messes me up. Then I get into my first level one lesson and it says click all the words you don’t know, I don’t, of course, know any of the words. So I’ll just click all of them??

@glennwestman Exactly. The general idea is that you want to get rid of the blue words on the lesson page and create LingQs (yellow words) for the words you don’t understand or want to learn better. When you click on a blue word you see different hints for that word in the dashboard on the right-hand side of the page. Choose one of the hints or check the dictionary to create your own hint. You can also tell us if you know the word already or you may sometimes want to ignore the word and not include it in your stats.
The best place to start is by taking a look at the resources on the Academy page - Login - LingQ.

Also, one of the messages which we need to get across better is that there is no set order for learning a language. Start with easier material and work your way up in difficulty. To have some level 2 lessons mixed in with level 1 lessons is fine. If you find a lesson too hard, leave it for a while and come back again later. We have been trained in standard language classes that we have to do lesson 1 before 2 etc… That is simply not the case. You are exposing yourself to the language and your brain will start to figure it out. Find something that looks interesting and just start. You should be clicking on every word if you are brand new to the language. That is good. Do the review of your yellow words on each page. Then move on and create more LingQs on the next page. Your yellow words will reoccur which helps reinforce them. Keep moving, you don’t need to nail anything down. It is like the fog slowly clearing. New words will take a while to stick and that’s just fine. Drilling them to learn them today isn’t a lasting way to remember anyway. Eventually, you will start to realize that you know a lot of your yellow words. It just happens over time and really starts to accelerate after a few months.
Good luck and enjoy the process!

1 Like

That was a great webinar. Thanks :slight_smile:

Hi Glenn I agree 100% with your comments about the dashboard, I think todate I have spent 60% of my time trying to understand and find help and 40% of my time using the system which is not what I want.

If I may suggest watch the “LingQ Power User Webinar” run by Mark Kaufmann you can access it using the following link:

Its a bit slow to start just be a little patient and you will be rewarded. My thanks to Zoran for point me in the direction of this Webinar.

I still need help understanding - LingQ of the Day so if anyone can help me I would be most grateful.

LingQs of the Day are basically a list of LingQs for you to review each day taken from the list of words you are trying to learn. Your yellow LingQs. The list is generated based on our SRS algorithm and, once you have accumulated enough LingQs, shows you a subset of the words that are due for review today. You can adjust the number of words that get sent to you in your Notification settings. This email also sends you some of the popular lessons from your Lesson Feed each day.

when is the next one?

Thanks!

How do you suggest example sentences should be added if they are not from the library?

You will have to create a lesson with at least the original sentence in it and save the word from their in order for the original context to be grabbed.

Oh, I’ve had a look at your profile. I’m trying to keep all my vocabulary at one place. To do so I add some words with Import Vocabulary (I would use Add control if there was one). Adding example sentences is a trick. Creating a lesson for each word does not seem natural, does it?

You can add more information using the bulk import feature. Just hover on the + button in the top navigation and choose the import vocabulary option. You will see how to layout your csv file there.

Fantastic! To add a word with an example sentence I’m suggested to either create a lesson with this example sentence and add the word from the lesson or create a CSV file and import it. Do you really mean it?

Thanks for this helpful tutorial. i am new and i will surely look into it.