Lingq extension, Netflix subadub, et cetera

I have noticed a trend in the last months or so, the increased ability to import subtitles. The recent Netflix “subtitle importer” has been great news. I remember reading a post by Eric (lingq staff member), where he announced that there is some Korean anime site that from which you could import subtitles with the extension.

Anyway, with all these technological advances I was wondering if it were possible to import Amazon Prime. Today I subscribed to Amazon Prime and watching the first episode of Man City documentary they have subtitles for about 15-20 languages (both euro and Asian languages).

I have no idea if it is possible from a legal or technical aspect or how much work it would require. I just think it would be great if the extension would work for Amazon Prime since they seem to have a lot of content with subtitles in various languages.

1 Like

What is the Netflix subtitle importer?

It is something called subadub, it is a chrome extension that allows you to import subtitles from Netflix. After you install it when you watch Netflix on Chrome there will be at the top right corner three small buttons called, hide subs, subtitles and download SRT.

When you download SRT you will then get the subtitles in sort of dumbed down version of Word document. The slightly small down side with this is that it will come in the form of.

00:00:01,877 → 00:00:03,211
TED:

00:00:01,877 → 00:00:03,211
Okay where were we?

00:00:03,211 → 00:00:04,922
It was June of 2006,

The easiest way is to copy paste it to a word document and use the find and replace function. Put the numbers and symbols that you want to get rid of, in the find box and leave the replace box empty, then press replace all and presto manifesto you have the transcripts of your favourite Netflix TV shows for lingq.

Another bummer is that (at least in Finland) that the options for subtitles is quite limited at least with the most popular series and films.

5 Likes

You can use this one for amazonprime

1 Like

I haven’t tried Subadub, but I only recently noticed that with the ‘Language Learning with Netflix’ extension it is possible to get the subtitles. There’s a menu option in the top right of the screen when the extension is working (at least there is at moment—barring any changes), which opens a side panel with all the subtitles for that show.

When you open it up, you see options at the top like ‘Save to Anki’, ‘Print’ and so on. Although there’s no option shown there for this, I found that you can select subtitles with your mouse or control + A to select them all and simply copy and paste to a Word document.

If it’s a language like French, that’s it. No time stamps to get rid of or anything, just the occasional hard return putting a part of a sentence on the next line because that’s how it appeared in the subtitles.

I tried it for Japanese and it was a bit more complicated at first because I was getting romaji and regular Japanese subtitles/captions mixed in together. Copying and pasting that required some formatting hoops to jump through, until I realized you could simply go into the settings for the extension, find ‘Show Transliterations’ and set it to ‘No transliterations’. After that, Japanese captions became just as easy to copy and paste as the French ones.

From a Word document, you can check that everything looks right and then if it does simply import the text into LingQ if you wish.