Library Filter

I was playing around with the library a while recently and noticed some bugs:

• When in the library, if I select courses, and a difficulty level, course of other difficulty level will not be filtered out.

• Sorting by roses not working.

• Sometimes when I select a filter, I will be automatically switched to 2 columns.

• If I select a provider, and then I switch back to “All Providers”, there are no results to display (whereas previously there were).

This is on Windows 7 (IE 9 / and up-to-date Chrome).

When in the library, if I select courses, and a difficulty level, course of other difficulty level will not be filtered out.

I tried this in Russian (Chrome and Mac). I found that filters work for Beginner, but for Intermediate and Advanced, I got mostly the levels I wanted but with some other levels included.

• Sorting by roses not working.

I found the same.

• Sometimes when I select a filter, I will be automatically switched to 2 columns.

I tried this with several filters but was unable to reproduce it. Which filters, which languages?

• If I select a provider, and then I switch back to “All Providers”, there are no results to display (whereas previously there were).

This is also true for me. I then pressed Clear to reset.

Thank you for the feedback. Sorry for any inconvenience. We will be looking into this tomorrow.

No inconvenience, I just noticed because I was in the library a lot.

I figured out how to reproduce the two column problem, but it might only be caused when I use the library in
unusual ways. For example the following scenario will reproduce the problem only in Internet Explorer, and only
if you visit the library though the link listed in the scenario (if you get to the library by using the button on the front
page the behavior is different). It also only happens on Internet Explorer (only tested with Spanish).

If I close Lingq completely and visit:

the behavior is that all the options are reset (and resets to 1 column) so that only the following filters are selected:

“Show: Lessons”, “Show: New”, “Show: Premium”

when I switch to “Show: Courses”, the view switches to two columns, but the drop-down still says “1 Column”

I’m at home now, so this is with Windows 8 and IE 10.

The two column issue also happened to me this morning when I first started using lingq while using Chrome.
However, when I repeated the steps it didn’t happen again. The first thing I did after entering lingq.com
into my url bar was press “learn → my lesson” and then select “Courses”. That changed the view to two columns.

@sgilpin80 - Thanks for reporting these issues. We’ll take a closer look into the ones you’ve reported so far. If you come across any additional issues just let us know.

@sgilpin80 - In response to your post: *The level filters do not filter by the course level but rather by the lesson level which means that all courses containing lessons at your target level(s) are displayed. Since all lessons within a course may not be at the same level and may not match the default course level, you can see courses that have a different level to the ones selected. This means that those courses have lessons in them at the selected levels. *The rose sort seems to be working for me. It is listing the lessons with the most roses first. Can you better explain in what way it is not working for you. * This is an issue we are working on so thanks for attempting to provide information to help us figure out what is causing this. *Thanks for reporting this. We will get that fixed.

The sorting by rose issue appears only to be a problem for sorting courses (lessons are sorting correctly for me right now).

About the course level explanation you gave. That makes sense, however it doesn’t appear to be the issue here.
See the following two reproducible scenarios below that both conflict with the possible cause you mentioned. These are both searches done in the library whose results are consistent across different computers and browsers. Thanks for looking into the problem.

Scenario 1
Filters: “Courses”, “Beginner 1”
Sort: date added
The 6th item down is “Season 1 - ¡Me mudé a Madrid! - C1”. The level of the course is Advanced 1 but also all of the lesson contained in it are (easy to check since there are only 5 lessons).

Scenario 2
Filters: “Lessons”, “Beginner 1”
Sort: date added
The 27th item down is "La nariz de un notario - Edmundo About > Chapter 1 " which is Advanced 2.

@sgilpin - I have tried to reproduce the scenarios you describe but am unable to do so. The level filters do seem to be looking for lessons at the selected level and showing courses containing these lessons. Is this still happening to you?

@mark - Yes I’m still getting the exact same results, except that new lessons have been added and I am sorting by date added so the list placing I gave before is different now.

The only thing I can think of adding is that the filters I listed were the only ones checked, and I cleared out all of the filters in the “show more filters” area which are initially hidden.

Maybe this is a language specific thing? Are you searching the Spanish library?