Lets putting youtube videos up with transcripts written by native speakers!

Youtube has tons of stuff that could be used as quality learning material in many different languages and of varying lengths. All it requires is that somebody stick a transcript on it and post it up as a lesson on Lingq!

Its easy to do, you just stick the video in the resources part of the import. You can’t upload a lesson without an audio track attachment though so you have to stick something else in as a work around (that ok powers that be?).

I did an epsiode of a spiderman cartoon

I’m dying for somebody to do some French and Japanese stuff on video, any takers?

As I said in another thread, I think your enthusiasm is great. I do feel, however, that each lesson should have its own audio, not just a filler.

As an aside, I cannot understand this preference for videos, for me it is much easier to learn when I simply listen and read - different strokes for different folks.

What about copyright issues? Don’t we have to contact all those authors and ask them for permission first before importing their content to LingQ?

Obviously, ideally it wouldn’t be compulsory to attach a solo, totally unrelated audio track to the lesson but while it is, this is an easy work around.
The audio is all contained within the video clip so it’s unneccesary to attach anything further.

Adding video can make the lesson a lot more interesting than just listening, hence video killed the radio star. Using Youtube provides ready to go lessons requiring no thought by the person transcribing the dialogue. Further more youtube has a lot of TV programmes from different countries featuring many different languges, accents etc etc

You can learn a lot about a country’s culture by watching TV plus seeing somebody communicating provides a whole lot more information than just hearing them. Gestures and visual cues can be different in other cultures and you tube clips can add to this experience (granted that particular point might not be true for cartoons! But they’re still fun!)

Edwin, I asked Mark this and he said it was ok. All the video is streamed through Youtube so copywrite issues will be Youtubes problem not Lingq’s and if there is a problem Youtube take it down and it is no longer part of anybody’s lesson.

Just want to make sure, ripping the audio and attaching it to the text would be a problem right?

I’ve no idea either how to do that or if it would be a problem. I imagine it would possibly be a bit more problematic because then the audio would be part of and distriubted by Lingq rather than Youtube. But why bother? the audio is there with the video which is run through the resources tab at the top of the screen with the same amount of functionality.

May be we can try to ‘crowd-source’ the transcription part.

Create a dummy lesson with a link to the video. Leave the text blank and attach a dummy audio. Ask people to transcript it (or part or it) in the “ask your tutor” section.

Then the creator add the transcriptions back to the text.

You could do but it doesn’t really take that long to do it yourself. It’s certainly quicker than making a lesson with audio and transcript yourself as many of the contributors have done. Like the lessons on Lingq youtube clips come in all different shapes and sizes. Some long, some short.

Please remember that transcripts, as well as audio rips, are almost certainly covered by any copyright that might exist in the original work.

How do I do it myself if I am only a learner of that language?

For those videos I transcribe, don’t I need to import the transcript to LingQ too? Otherwise, what is the point of using LingQ?

Last safari - maybe, maybe not, Mark the administrator is cool with it so go ahead. Personally I don’t think there’ll be a problem. If the Youtube video goes then take down the lesson, problem solved.

As for transcribing a clip in a language other than your own native language, I think there would be value in that for other people to learn from but it would be worth writing in the description that it isn’t your mother tongue and there may be mistakes.

For the videos you transcribe you could write it directly into Lingq or just copy and paste it from word or wherever. Insert the url address in resources, either insert a dummy audio or record your own, find a picture to accompany it and then you’re good to go.

@Mark, the administrator

Please think about this a bit.

I myself was thinking of posting some transcripts I have prepared for Russian movies, available on YouTube. After reading the cases, I changed my mind.

@lastsafari, actionhank - I’m not so sure that we can just post anything from Youtube.

From YouTube’s Terms of Use:

1. Your Use of Content
    In addition to the general restrictions above, the following restrictions and conditions apply specifically to your use of Content.

The Content on the Service, and the trademarks, service marks and logos (“Marks”) on the Service, are owned by or licensed to YouTube, subject to copyright and other intellectual property rights under the law.
Content is provided to you AS IS. You may access Content for your information and personal use solely as intended through the provided functionality of the Service and as permitted under these Terms of Service. You shall not download any Content unless you see a “download” or similar link displayed by YouTube on the Service for that Content. You shall not copy, reproduce, distribute, transmit, broadcast, display, sell, license, or otherwise exploit any Content for any other purposes without the prior written consent of YouTube or the respective licensors of the Content. YouTube and its licensors reserve all rights not expressly granted in and to the Service and the Content.
You agree not to circumvent, disable or otherwise interfere with security-related features of the Service or features that prevent or restrict use or copying of any Content or enforce limitations on use of the Service or the Content therein.
You understand that when using the Service, you will be exposed to Content from a variety of sources, and that YouTube is not responsible for the accuracy, usefulness, safety, or intellectual property rights of or relating to such Content. You further understand and acknowledge that you may be exposed to Content that is inaccurate, offensive, indecent, or objectionable, and you agree to waive, and hereby do waive, any legal or equitable rights or remedies you have or may have against YouTube with respect thereto, and, to the extent permitted by applicable law, agree to indemnify and hold harmless YouTube, its owners, operators, affiliates, licensors, and licensees to the fullest extent allowed by law regarding all matters related to your use of the Service.

I agree with Sanne. I much prefer audio because I can listen while doing other tasks. If I am going to dedicate myself to the language I always prefer reading, or vocab review, or speaking. But to each his/her own.

@mark

Including, in educational material on LingQ, a URL which links to (possibly) copyrighted YouTube content is one issue.

Hosting, on LingQ, derivative works such as transcripts, translations, audio rips, and the like, is another issue entirely. The legal questions are not so simple. If you really want to host content related to Hollywood movie and comic book characters, you should run this past a lawyer and get a written opinion letter. Hopefully, a Canadian lawyer specializing in copyright, who may understand your situation in more detail.

Or you could conclude, as I did, “better safe than sorry.”

lastsafari, so you suggest we just creat a dummy lesson with no text and not audio, only contains a link to the Youtube video?

If so, what is the point of creating this dummy lesson?

@lastssafari, edwin - I think it probably makes sense to be 100% sure about copyright issues with regard to Youtube content before transcribing or editing it in some way. It is up to you to do your own research there. We do require a transcript and audio for all lessons.

If anyone would like to try, you can use my videos: TeacherKeshia - YouTube I just started making them a couple of weeks ago, and there are only a few, but you can use them. Just credit me and my website http://epenglish.blogspot.com. Although they’re not exciting like movies or series, they are English lessons, so they might be cool to try. :slight_smile:

Seeing as half the stuff on Youtube is “copywrited” stuff anyway I can’t imagine any real problems emerging. Youtube seem to just take stuff down if there’s a complaint which is what Lingq could do too, but then Lingq isn’t my website. Could you maybe ask youtube or one of the similar video sharing websites and try and get their permission? It seems like a logical step for Lingq to host more videos. Who knows maybe one day with some sort of licencing arrangement with youtube, itunes or whatever you could download transcripted content and pay for each episode, film , clip etc.

Video’s the way forward man! :slight_smile: