Let me know your opinion about Korean lesson

안녕하세요
저는 한국인이고 덴마크에 살고 있어서 LingQ를 통해 공부를 하고 있는 중입니다.
한국어 레슨에는 뭐가 있나 궁금해서 보고 있다가
한국어 자료를 레슨으로 만들면 도움이 될까 싶어서 의견을 먼저 물어보고 싶었습니다.

한국 관련 자료가 엄청 많은 걸로 알고 있는데 현재 있는 자료들로 충분한지,
더 배우고 싶은 주제 또는 자료가 있다면 무엇이 있는지 의견을 듣고 싶습니다. :ear:

hello
I’m Korean and I live in Denmark, so I’m studying through LingQ.
I was curious about what was in the Korean lesson, so I took a look.
I thought it would be helpful to make Korean materials into classes, so I wanted to ask for your opinion first.

I know that there are a lot of data related to Korea, but are those resources enough?
Please let me know if there is a topic or material you would like to know more about. :ear:

2 Likes

Hi there.

In my case, I tend to import most of my study content from YouTube or audiobooks, since I’m not interested in Kpop, Kdrama, etc. and that is what most of the content for Korean on LingQ (and other sites/textbooks) is based on.

I’m fairly advanced, so recently, I’ve had fun studying short essays like those of 김훈. I also have been slowly going through classic books like 소나기 and 할머니의 죽음. I personally really like these kinds of literary studies. There are already some good collections of literary excerpts on LingQ, but it might be nice to have more short stories and essays in good quality.

1 Like

Thanks for your comments. :grinning:

I thought that most people who want to learn Korean would be studying by importing books or other things. As you said, most contents for studying Korean uses K-pop or K-dramas, etc. that can easily grab attention. But there is a lot of other great content. It’s unfortunate that it seems to have been hidden.

However, it looks as if all literature that can be uploaded on the Internet has already been so. The full text of recently published books cannot be posted on the Internet because of copyright issues.

So I figured. I like Korean movies and books that are not well known abroad, and I would like to upload some excerpts from them and post articles explaining Korean culture, such as the background, history of the scene. And also I would like to give some examples how to use words and sentences.

For example, in the movie ‘Memories of Murder’, there is a line: ‘Have you eaten?’ I want to write about the reason why the man asks the suspect if he has eaten in that scene, and the cultural explanation for what meal means, and ask each other “did you eat?”

I’m sorry for the long post, but I’d love your feedback on this.
Thank you!

1 Like

Memories of Murder is a classic :slight_smile:

It’s a lovely idea you’re suggesting. My understanding is that LingQ is admittedly not really a ‘language course’ or ‘culture course’, but instead simply a convenient interface for organizing enjoyable content, with easy access to dictionaries, review, tracking your progress, etc. I suppose you could indeed create your own content here and share it, and many would enjoy it! You could also try to import the content from elsewhere, but I think there are some complications with making those public lessons?

One thing to consider is that I think most of us here really don’t like learning with the machine playback voice, so any material that is self-created would be much more fun if there is a proper audio track (with voice actors, or narrators, or whatever) to go along with it. Just my opinion.

도와주고 싶어하신 마음으로 들리셔서 감사합니다~

1 Like

Hi! Welcome!

It’s not too easy hard to pick up basic nouns and verbs, and to put together really simple sentences. But it’s all those other words and word parts that could use some explanation. Korean grammar can be really complicated, and figuring out how the meaning changes when various small parts are added isn’t always straightforward.

:slight_smile:

(Edited to change one word)

2 Likes

Sure, that’s always the frustrating thing about Korean: you can know every noun and verb in the sentence and yet, if they come up in some grammatical pattern or verb ending that you don’t know, you can completely miss the meaning of the sentence!

몰랐어요? :wink:

1 Like

I agree about TTS. :grimacing: It is not bad to hear each word, but it’s kind of uncomfortable to listen sentences or long articles with it. I should think about an audio track. Thank you!

I think one of the most important things when studying languages is to learn about the culture. Depending on cultural background, words could have differrent important meanings and various nuances. Culture can also affect people’s behavior and thus becomes a language in and of itself.

Importing lessons is a good idea, but I don’t like the whole pop-up aspect of the concept. Having to go to a second or even third site to actually use the material is just kind of annoying to me… I prefer simple solutions… Due to copyright issues, often you cannot share these lessons anyway, so it doesn’t really make sense to me…

Thanks for the advice. I’ll consider it. :wink:

Hi! :smile:

I agree entirely. Learning basic words or verbs is not difficult. Recently, long and complicated texts are becoming difficult to understand even to Koreans. Especially younger Koreans are really struggling with certain basic concepts and even metaphors. It is actually becoming a big problem.
I think the grammar itself is not too difficult. One word can have many meanings, and depending on context, you get a whole different nuance to its meaning, even when you just decline a verb.

Thank you for comments. It’s been very helpful, and I will try to figure out how to help!

Thanks a lot for your interest and support.
As for now I’m trying to focus on Japanese and German, but Korean is definitely on my to-do-list. The thing that intrigues me is that grammarly wise is similar to Japanese and I also love the way it’s written and how it sounds. I also I’m not much in K-pop or dramas. I much prefer podcasts and books.
Thanks again!

1 Like

I thank you so much for your interest in Korean. :blush:

Oh you studying Japanese and German. That is Awesome.
Yes, Korean and Japanese have a lot in common. Above all, the word order is the same, so you can understand more easily if you have learned Japanese first. And there are many similarly pronounced words because both countries use Chinese characters. In addition, they both become harder the more you learn. Haha :rofl:

What kind of podcast do you listen to? I’ve never listened to podcasts, so I am just curious.

Thanks for replying!

1 Like

Thanks for your kinds word.
Yeah it’s true, Japanese gets harder the deeper I dive in, but German also is not a joke. :laughing:
As for podcasts I like the ones where a topic is chosen and then discussed, like for example those made by Noriko, for Japanese (Japanese with Noriko).
Since I like videogames, I sometimes watch Let’s play in target language too. :blush:

1 Like

Yes, growing up on the internet and with ‘text speak’ has become a big problem in Korea too, among native speakers of the language.

My students here in Seoul make very obvious mistakes when they type messages or emails. For example, it’s very common that they use ~(으)로써 when they actually mean ~(으)로서. It’s also common for them to misuse ~데 for a quotation instead of ~대: (ex: 선생님은 제가 한 발표를 좋아했요.)

(This is a bit like confusing “their”, “there”, and “they’re” in English - the kind of thing that can really be a huge distraction and problem - not only because it calls the speaker’s competence into question, but also because a person trying to use their content for learning will learn it wrong!)

This is serious because a lot of young YouTubers make these mistakes; I’ve imported lessons from YouTube videos with great content/production/subtitling, only to find that the (YouTuber-uploaded) subtitles had these kinds of mistakes. Then I have to spend extra time with my textbooks and online searches to confirm that my Korean teacher was right and I’m not going crazy, and fix the text in LingQ. A bit annoying!

2 Likes

I’ve never learned German but I know that it’s not easy. You got this! :grin:
:thinking:That kind of podcast sounds interesting, actually. I usually watch youtube; people from various fields having a discussion or debate about specific topics or just their own interests.
Your ideas sound pretty great too!

1 Like

I totally agree. Until when are they going to keep spelling like this?? :weary:
Many people don’t care about spelling. Indeed some people think like this: ‘You can understand anyway. So spelling mistakes are not a big deal.’ Besides, the rules of spelling can change, because of how language tends to change overtime and how certain popular tendencies tend to affect what is considered proper spelling. In these cases, I think simply changing the “rules” of spelling is much easier than re-teaching a whole nation. :thinking:
It’s just too bad when people study with wrong texts or contents like that, because they will keep making the same mistakes and never learn from them. Even if there is a spell checker, maybe no one uses it.
But I also make mistakes sometimes… so I cannot “officially” complain. :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth: