Lesson notes are inconsistent

Example: The first lesson of my beginner Course “Ab jetzt lerne ich Deutsch! German Now”: Login - LingQ

The translation in Classic View (which is fine):

Anna: Hello!
Laura: Hello!

Anna: Hello Laura!
Laura: Hello Mum!

Anna: How are you? / How do you do? / Good day!
Laura: How are you? / How do you do? / Good day!

Anna: Good morning!
Laura: Good morning!

Anna: Good evening!
Laura: Good evening!

Anna: Good night!
Laura: Good night!

The translation in Beta View (line breaks are missing):

Anna: Hello! Laura: Hello!

Anna: Hello Laura! Laura: Hello Mum!

Anna: How are you? / How do you do? / Good day! Laura: How are you? / How do you do? / Good day!

Anna: Good morning! Laura: Good morning!

Anna: Good evening! Laura: Good evening!

Anna: Good night! Laura: Good night!

Sorry, the title is wrong. This is about

—> Translation!

Maybe the support can fix the title of this thread?

Just want to bring this up.

I think it is important for content providers that translations are presented with the same look in Classic and Beta View.

Thanks Vera, I reported this and I’ll let you know when I have more informations.
P.S. I am not able to change the thread title unfortunately :slight_smile:

Hi Vera,
Ok, here are some additional informations here. The lesson notes and translations cannot be formatted the same in classic and 4.0, because we use different technologies to render them.
To have a line break without a paragraph, you will need to use two trailing spaces.
So, if you want it to look good on 4.0, you will need to add double trailing spaces to separate the lines within same paragraphs.

This answer is not acceptable at all. Why do I have to chose if the notes and translations look good in Classic or Beta? They look should look good in both.

There is another thread with an example of the lesson notes: Lesson Notes That Were Fine Are Now Messed Up In Classic ...
Look how lesson notes look there!

I need an advice what I could do that translation and lesson notes look acceptable in BOTH versions. I don’t want to look like a fool, not able to format things properly when people study my lessons!

I replied on lesson notes thread too (although what you copy-pasted there from classic is also translation issue).
As I’ve said in my reply above, if you add double trailing spaces to separate the lines within same paragraphs, translations will look fine on 4.0 (and will still look fine on classic).

Hi Zoran,

Thank you for your answer.

I figured out how to add line breaks to the translations and lesson notes in a way that works for both versions. It is strange to add two spaces at the end of each paragraph, but it works.

It is not possible to add to blank lines in a row, isn’t it?

I found that there is now HTML-Code shown in lesson notes and translations. This was definitely not the case, when I’ve added these translations and lesson notes some years agoLingQ has already changed the way how translations are shown. This is not nice, because I’ve added a lot and I’ve now to overwork all of them. . I think this happened about one year ago. It is not my fault that LingQ has changed this, but before I start to overwork them, I want to make sure that this will not be changed again. Adding lesson notes and translations is not rewarded, even if it is a lot of work, but I do it for the German learners. What I want to avoid is unnecessary and double work. I guess this is understandable. I don’t do it, because I want to get on your nerves.

Unfortunately it is not possible to use the markdowns as described on the Resources page because it doesn’t work on Classic View. That is pity. I still think you should find a way that they look the same in both versions. It is especially important for the links in my opinion.

Here is a lesson I’ve overworked now:

Also you should consider opening links in a new tab and not in the same tab. This makes much more sense.

Bye the way, “bold” seems to be close to invisible.

This is what is shown on the Resources page (and works in Beta View only):

Use markdown to format text:

Hi Vera,
Of course, I totally understand your concerns! We are not going to make any changes again, so you can feel free to edit your imports. The resources and lesson text looks perfect in lesson you mentioned in your post above.
And thanks for your suggestions, we’ll do our best to improve things as much as we can.

They don’t look perfect in Classic view. Look at the single * and the double ** in the translations and at the link at the bottom of the lesson notes.

And “bold” in Beta view is close to invisible. I cannot identify it on my large screen.

Is there a way to add two empty lines in a row to translations or lesson notes?

And what is about opening links in a new tab? That is a standard over the web. Especially if users should look up things and not leave LingQ for this. These links leads to additional information. It is like looking something up in a dictionary. For this you would not leave LingQ too, aren’t you?

Hi Vera,
You can open a links in a new tab if you click on it with the middle mouse button, or right click > open in a new tab.
But I agree that it should open in a new tab by default with left mouse click too, so I’ll check with developers if we can change that. Thanks for the suggestion!
The instructions for a lesson resources formatting doesn’t seem to work on Classic view. I’ll check if that can be fixed.

Hi Zoran, I know how to open a link in a new tab :wink: It is more for the convenience of the learners.

Thank you for your efforts!