Learning Multiple Languages - good or bad?

Is it bad to try and learn more then one language at a time?

I’ve studied a lot of Spanish, but my Dad just bought Rosetta German and I’ve
been drilling it some as well.

Is this a bad idea?

Depends entirely on you. Some do it and it helps (whether as motivation or otherwise). For others, it’s a detriment. Only one way to find out which more accurately reflects you.

It depends also on your level of the first foreign language. If you’ve already reached the intermediate level in the first language, you can start with another one.
But if you are only in a beginner level, it would be too difficult to learn both languages at the same time, and you can confuse the words of them.
In other words, you can support a lot of languages in intermediate and advanced levels, but I believe only one can be added in a beginner level at the same time.

I have been learning many many languages at the same time.

I always stop, cut on my number of languages and go back to the beginning, but then there is a point where I really want to learn this and that and I start over again.

Only problem, I don’t have that much time for the individual language.
And I figured I’m pretty slow in any progress, though I really do a lot and every day. Whereas with English I didn’t have a second foreign language and Spanish and French I learned simultaneously. I’m almost fluent in Spanish. I understand a lot, I can talk without greater difficulty, but if it comes to difficult matters like Economics I sometimes have a hard time to understand everything. With French I only understand simple contents like movies. I hope that using these languages more will help me with my difficulties.
The other languages I’m learning I do not really understand much so far. I can sometimes follow a movie (best if I have seen it before in one of my spoken languages) but thats about it. Here again I hope having contact with the language will help me perfecting my listening comprehension.

Yeah, whether you’ll confuse two beginner languages or not depends a lot on which the languages are. Spanish and German just have too many differences to even think about confusing them.

Right now I’m learning (in order of frequency): Russian, Arabic, Italian, and Esperanto. I may even add French to the mix, once I begin to feel comfortable in another language (after Russian).

I don’t think it’s helpful to say that multiple language-learning is objectively unwise. Everyone is different; people have different strengths and interests, and they learn differently. I need variety in my day-to-day life. Learning one language feeds my enthusiasm for another language, back and forth; like a ping-pong ball. So, either way, it helps keep me dedicated to my language-learning. Any exposure is better than no exposure.

At first, Russian was too intense (and too important) for me to focus on any other language, but now that I have my foot in the door (so to speak), I feel that adding a few others can only be beneficial; especially considering that two of them are very easy. The more language-learning you experience, the faster you’ll pick up additional languages - this seems pretty much the rule. I do worry that Italian and Esperanto are a bit too similar, however; I may have to drop and/or substitute one of them for French.

So, Spanish and German? Go for it. If you find your attention is too divided and/or don’t enjoy it, then don’t do it. But I wouldn’t let someone else discourage me from something I wanted to do without first trying it.

The one thing that really bothers me about learning multiple languages is really time. I can’t for the life of me find enough time to devote to all languages equally, so I usually go faster in one language, slower in another, and the third (right now it’s German) goes v-e-r-y slowly. The fourth, fifth and sixth are usually just one-night stands.

Thanks for some ideas.

I think I will concentrate 90% on Spanish, but I hate to let Rosetta German just sit there not being used. Seems a waste not to
spend a few minutes a day on it. I just hope it won’t interfere with my Spanish progress.

A little Rosetta Stone won’t hurt your Spanish (neither will it help your German, but that’s a different discussion).

I thought Rosetta Stone was “comprehensible input”, as Stephen Krashen advocates.

What is wrong with it?

Nothing is wrong with it. Many, including myself, feel that Rosetta Stone greatly exaggerates its effect in order to sell a product. Alone, it won’t make someone fluent in any meaningful sense. It will help a student make progress, but that’s not as exciting of a tagline. Learning a language, in any meaningful sense, is a monumental task any way you look at it. As a result of Rosetta Stone’s marketing decisions, some may be resentful of it and any product that makes similarly outrageous claims.

Yeah, all it does is just teach you some sentences and vocabulary in a very natural way… it doesn’t make you fluent or anything.