Latin dictionary not working well

I have been learning latin since may last year, and later I started french and icelandic. While going back to latin I realized that the dictionary is very very bad. More than half of the words never load any translation, and if they do the translation is very often wrong. My work around has been to add wiktionary as a dictionary and then go into wiktionary for every new word and look it up. It works but it defeats the purpose of using lingq.

Is this something that others have noticed as well, and are there any better work arounds?

And I know that latin isn’t a very popular language but if possible it would be super nice if this could be looked into. Either if there are better dictionaries that could be integrated, or if google translate could be fixed - right now if I go into google translate manually I usually get a translation at least, but in lingq it just loads forever.

Best regards,
Carl

1 Like

Doesn’t Google Translate have Latin as an option? Is it possible to load the dictionary they use?

Oh, never mind. I just read the end part of your post.

1 Like

As long as there isn’t a good dictionary integrated into LingQ, you could keep a paper dictionary next to you on the table :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah true, but the quick lookup that comes with an integrated dictionary is a super useful feature of lingq. If I’m gonna use a paper dictionary of even wiktionary I could just as well not use lingq at all for latin

1 Like

So I assume that you are meanwhile satisfied with the Latin dictionaries on LingQ?

1 Like

None of those things depend from LingQ. If you find a better dictionary online, you can ask LingQ to add it to your choices. It is easier for you to find a better latin dictionary than any developer that is working on the system and doesn’t even know the language.
I would suggest you to search on any online latin dictionaries and find a few possible choices. Then ask the team to add them, if they can technically do it they will do it.

I know nothing about latin, but have you also tried ChatGPT or similar? Maybe some of those AI could work as well, even if they are not integrated with the system at the moment.

I have lost count of the translations that I have written from different dictionaries. If you have a bigger screen, you can split the screen in two and use a dedicated tab on the right with the dictionaries always opened. This will speed up the process. I have a Mac but I think Edge would automatically do it as well.

2 Likes