Language diversity on LingQ

I calculated the distribution of languages available on LingQ, based on language family and geographical distribution. This is meant to be purely informative.

As a note, I was only able to find 38 available languages, instead of the stated 42. I’ll recalculate with those extra 4 if I can find out what they are.

Language Families:
66% - Indo-European
8% - Sino-Tibetan
5% - Afro-Asiatic
5% - Uralic
5% - Austronesian
2.75% - Japonic
2.75% - Koreanic
2.75% - Turkic
2.75% - Constructed

Geographical distribution by continent:
46% - Europe
27% - Asia
9% - Africa
7% - North America
7% - South America
4% - Australia

6 Likes

Nice. But I think you can argue if Chinese with traditional characters or simplified characters makes it a different language. The same Chinese languages can be written in both, simplified and traditional characters. No need to correct it though. You can mean languages LingQ classifies as languages by their categorisation, not necessarily based on linguistic and political views. Anyway, well done!

1 Like

Thanks!

Yes, for Chinese I decided to go with their classification, since there may be differences in grammar or otherwise between Simplified and Traditional that I don’t know about.

I also had to decide about Latin (since it’s dead), Esperanto (since so few people seem to actually use it, but they have a wide geographic distribution), Persian (since there are so many Persian speakers around the world). And I had to decide what continent Greenland is in (it’s culturally European, geographically technically North American).

Ultimately, I decided to include Latin only for language families, Esperanto is on all continents, Persian is only in Asia, and Greenland is in Europe.

1 Like