Keyboard shortcut for "show translation"

Is there a keyboard shortcut for text translations? I like to read without seeing the translations and when It is too difficult to read I want to be able to press a keyboard shortcut and see the meanings of the sentences. Is this possible yet, and if not, is there a plan to make this available soon? It is such a waste of time having to use my mouse to click on show translations every third or fourth sentence.

2 Likes

There is no such shortcut. I use this

height = 450
!+t::
;MouseGetPos mouseX, mouseY
Click 1420, 180
Click 1320, %height%
;MouseMove mouseX, mouseY
Click 1300, 700
return
!+i::
MouseGetPos mouseX, mouseY
ToolTip %mouseY%
Sleep 400
ToolTip
return
!+Up::
height -= 25
ToolTip %height%
Sleep 400
ToolTip
return
!+Down::
height += 25
ToolTip %height%
Sleep 400
ToolTip
return

This sits in my autostart folder. Autohotkey is needed for this to work.
Shift+Alt+T is used to automatically perform the mouse movement you have to do manually now when toggling the translation display status.
Shift+Alt+I shows the height of the mouse course, as you may have to adjust it to fit the correct position of the show translation options position depending on whether you are the creator of the lesson or not (which can be done via Shift+Alt+Up/Down Arrow).
The whole setup is based on the Google Chrome browser. If you are using a different one and the position of the gui elements differ, you may have to adjust the horizontal position in the script manually.

2 Likes

Shift T when using a web browser.

@LingQ @zoran I’m showing my daughter how to use lingQ and it’s completely crazy that I have to get her to use extra hardware to
use sentence mode
1 show next sentence
2 show translation
3 play audio

Please have a single easy shortcut for this on a browser and a single button & shortcut for the app.

If she likes it, we’re bought to sign up for something else. I can’t think how to “sell” this crazy system to her.

1 Like

And why is the “Show Translation” keyboard short-cut “Shift-T”? That’s a two-key combo for one of the most performed actions in a language app.

Why not just one key, i.e. “T”. You know, make it as easy as possible for the user.

As it happens, the “T” shortcut used to be for creating a new tag for the Tag feature – a feature I never used and just took up screen real estate and no doubt soaked up developer time.

Apparently, LingQ has realized that the Tag feature was worthless and dropped it from the interface. Great!

So how about using “T” and “Shift-T” as the keyboard shortcuts for “Show Translation”?

I’m a reasonable touch typist but “Shift-T” is a bit of a stretch and sometimes I hit the Ctrl or Caps Lock instead – both of which disrupt my work flow.

Shift+T does not work on my end. I use Google Chrome.

1 Like

I’m a bit surprised. I’m using the Brave broswer on Windows 10. It’s based on Chromium, the open source project that Chrome uses.

I do notice that there is often a longer delay than one might like for the translation to appear. I sometimes hit Shift-T twice.

Caps lock or a non-English language may mess it up.
Also translation isn’t working for me in French for the last few days and in Greek.
@Zoltan , why might this be happening? I restarted my device.

1 Like

It’s not a big deal for me as I use the script I’ve posted earlier on. What is much more annoying is the way the translation is displayed, making it often unreadable.

1 Like