Japanese lessons incorrectly splitting conjugations into words

I’ve just started using LingQ and have run into a problem here which I often see on sites that attempt to automatically parse Japanese: Highlighting parts of conjugations as if they were individual words.

The い that I have highlighted is actually part of the word しています (or at least ~います), not a word on it’s own in this context.

I understand it’s hard to parse Japanese but, Is there I way I can ‘change’ what the lesson is presenting to me as a lingq? (In the example above, after all, it’s wrong/useless, not merely annoying). I noticed I can click on a highlighted word twice to select and learn a broader/related phrase, but I don’t seem to be able to use that ‘instead’ of what’s highlighted in the lesson, only in addition. But I don’t want to mark い as either known or unknown in this context… I see the ‘ignore word’ button, but does that ignore い forever? I just want to ‘clear’ it here…

Thanks in advance for your help!

Morphological analysis of Japanese sentences is extremely difficult. I feel that computer programs cannot reach flawless parcing. I don’t know if the LingQ system accepts human “manual” editing of text. I imagine that the system is too “obstinate” to accept its own mistakes. ( I remember the machine named HAL in a famous sci-fi movie.)

1 Like

Ignore. It is easier that way. If I remember correctly I ignored most inflections, right now I only mark dictionary forms and stems as (un)known.

「ここではきものを脱いでください。」

玄関の所にこのように書いてあれば、「ここで履物を脱いでください」(Please take off your shoes here.)という意味なのですが、人間も機械も、「ここでは着物を脱いでください」(Please take off your kimono here.)という意味とかんちがいするかもしれません。

日本語を書く場合には、漢字を使うことと、読点を効果的に使うことが重要だと思います。

漢字を使わなくても、「ここで、はきものを脱いでください」となっていれば誤解することはなくなります。

1 Like

Yeah, I can see that. See the problem is, I’ve found it easier for me to learn conjugations or entire phrases (e.g.
し なく なり ました ) as I’ve found it helps me with listening/speaking. This is the thing that is making me try out LingQ in the first place, in fact, and it’s pretty great for it – except for this problem that I’ve mentioned here. Is there a feedback form or something where I can suggest this? Or are the staff good about reading these forums? If so:

Feature request! :slight_smile:

Allow users to “re-bind” or “ignore-in-this-lesson” various words and phrases, so that incorrect parsing like in the top post can be corrected without screwing up my LingQs on other lessons.