I've done it!

Thank you. I am aiming to update twice a week (Mondays & Thursdays). Today I posted the first half of Chapter 3. It is a bit not suitable for young minds.

Today there’s a personal take on language learning and Part 2 of “A Multi-National Pregnant Pause”. It is still harrowing.

It truly was a very lovely read - you certainly know how to paint a picture:)

There’s only one article today since story no. 4 “The mystery of the Birth Certificate” was quite a marathon to write and I don’t want to swamp people. Feedback, as always, is welcome. If anyone has a polished piece of writing on either writing or learning a language, have you thought of being a guest on my blog? Which language? That depends, I think I would love to be able to read it myself, therefore, German, English, French and Spanish. I’d also like something in Swedish, but there I cannot judge quality and would have to rely entirely on you.

#4 was a breath-taking read. I can tell that you have no idea how good you are. I couldn’t stop reading until the end. You paint such a vivid picture each time, that we can almost see and hear everything you describe.

Thank you for the lovely compliment. I hope I can keep up with the promise of the early stories :slight_smile:

Had a bit of a marathon again with Story no. 5 “Inventory of a Small World” and a slight hiccup in the running order of today’s other post “Tools for Writing II”. Comme d’habitude: feedback is appreciated (even, heaven forbid, if you don’t like something). :slight_smile:

The saga on notanotherblog.eu continues, it’s still Opa’s turn. Hope you (continue to) enjoy reading about him, he was larger than life.

Beware! The second of today’s stories, no. 11, is definitely morbid! And no, I never set fire to a chicken nor did I maltreat any other animals :slight_smile:

Fascinating: We don’t leave nails sticking out. People might take them. Nails are made of metal. Metal is precious. (I thought you were not going to leave the nails out, because someone might get hurt.

This brings back memories: When Opa cuts a chicken’s head off, there is an awful gush of blood. That is why Oma prefers to wring the necks of chickens and rabbits alike before cutting them off. “You don’t have all that squirting then,” she says. We did not do this at my house when I grew up, but when we went to see my grandparents, we would go and get a chicken. We would have to go some kind of a store where they had live chickens, because he would not buy an already dead chicken from a grocery store. Thought it would be unhealthy…he was from Ukraine.

QUOTE I am fascinated and appalled in equal measure. ME TOO! I have never known anything about the preparation of eels! This is riveting!

QUOTE: The tub is only ever used for washing clothes or large pots and pans or tools in it. Nobody in our family takes a bath. We only ever do Katzenwäsche, a Pommy wash. Wow, is THIS what bidets are all about? We don’t really use bidets at all where I live, but they are quite common in Europe. I had never heard before of a Pommy Wash, but maybe this explains it!

QUOTE The priests – three catholic, one protestant – were promptly denunciated, promptly taken into custody, transferred to Hamburg for further questioning and, some months later, efficiently beheaded. Wow, I had NO IDEA that beheading was happening there.

That is a very heavy story! So much to think about!

Well, a “pommy wash” is washing only some bits of your body, the face, the armpits and, if you are lucky and with another cloth, your lower regions. The Australians coined this phrase in reference to what they thought of the bodily hygiene and cleanliness of the Brits! “Katzenwäsche” implies the same, just a spit and a lick! No bidets anywhere, they would have been viewed with great suspicion in North Germany! At the time we simply ponged.

Une “toilette de chat” | “Se laver comme un chat” , même signification :slight_smile:

Une autre traduction anglaise serait “a spit and a lick”

Well, it’s Monday and that means it’s that time again: another story written and posted. I do hope you won’t recognise yourself in it… :slight_smile:

I´ve been faithfully reading, Sanne.