Is LingQ just a scam?

why have you made it impossible to downgrade my account or delete it?
You are perfectly happy to let me change my plan for a more expensive one

2 Likes

What platform are you on? For iOS, just go to the Apple app store, subscriptions, then cancel LingQ. It might be similar on other platforms i.e. go to the relevant app store.

Of course LingQ is not a scam, they are reputable, but itā€™s not always easy to know how to cancel a subscription. I recently had issues with cancelling another app, it took me a while to figure out.

3 Likes

If you go to your setting> account, you should have the option to delete your account. Or write them by email to do so. If you donā€™t see it, write them by email.

Screenshot below in my account.

3 Likes

it is not a scam but man for a commercial product it is too buggy nowā€¦still cheaper than what you pay for language classes per level. For a private language school here each level costs you 469euros. https://www.perfekt-deutsch.de/b2-abendkurs/ A life membership costs you half the price and lasts forever.

3 Likes

@tommymc Your subscription is scheduled to expire on March 27th.

3 Likes

Iā€™m experiencing the same problem and find it impossible to ā€˜unsubscribeā€™. This suggests an dishonourable organisation. I can find no way to unsubscribe or to stop payments from either the App or the website. The instructions provided by the company are not valid.

3 Likes

I suspect Hanlonā€™s Razor might apply here: ā€œnever attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity (or in this case, incompetence)". The developers have not made it easy to unsubscribe (likely just through bad UI organization on the part of whoever wrote the code), and in my opinion, they should make it far easier, as this topic comes up a lot.

You can unsubscribe yourself, but the process is somewhat unintuitive.

To unsubscribe, click on the down arrow next to your avatar in the top right of the page, then select ā€œsettingsā€, confirm your password and click on the ā€œchange planā€ button. At this point it might ask you to confirm your password again and thereā€™s sometimes a glitch where it doesnā€™t allow you to proceed, but just keep at it and youā€™ll get to the subscription page. Next, find the box with your current payment plan. At the bottom of that box will be the button that allows you to cancel your subscription.

3 Likes

Probably neither malice nor incompetence. I know from experience that something a developer considers obvious can be impenetrable for a user.

1 Like

All I know is what a software programmer once told me: if it takes a user more than three clicks to reach his goal, the UI is poorly designed. Here it takes at least 4, and thatā€™s if the confirm password glitch doesnā€™t appear. I just did a test to try to get to the unsubscribe button and the glitch appeared three times, so it took me 10 clicks (excluding the clicks needed if it asks you to log in, which is part of the glitch).

2 Likes