Interesting content--Spanish

Yes, and there’s a story about “El Zorro” in the course library:

And this other story that looks interesting:

And you have “El principito” / The Little Prince

I think there’s interesting material in the Lingq courses ), if you like stories [(disclaimer: I haven’t read any myself, I’m not here to learn Spanis DD]. I think both the OP and yourself can go read some of those after “Who is She” if interesting content is your priority, rather than easy, beginner material.

Hey Ginkgo58, I’m replying to you again in the forum. Hope this works.

The www.spanishpodcast.net site is lovely and I think I’m learning a lot there. It’s listening and reading together, at the same time. I’m actually trying to shadow Alex and say out loud what I hear him saying as he’s saying it, or just a beat after.

I really appreciate non-fiction and it can be hard to find examples of that. It seems fans of non-fiction are limited to journalism, travelogues, textbooks and encyclopedia entries. So a podcast with a script is perfect for my style of learning.

How do they earn money when they’re giving away free content? (Not that I’m complaining!)

Also, what scientific studies on language acquisition show the success of the automatic or natural approach they advocate and use? (Not that I’m complaining – I think it works.)

The website is really cool. I love when I encounter a website that is being taken care of. No wonder there is a paid account( version). Thanks a lot for this valuable resource.

Paying for learning resources is always worth it. If LingQ was not a commercial website it would not probably survive and be as cool as it is now in which case my learning would probably stop at some point. That’s been said, I would not probably pay for Coffee Break Spanish, because I have a problem using a MasterCard and/or a Visa, and I have to say paying in dollars is really expensive for those who live in the Middle East. Why am I saying all this? I only wanted to share with you my humble idea about paying and supporting learning resources.

Thanks bud, to be added to my bookmark.

I bought a book for children on Kindle, and I think I need to learn how to import it to LingQ as soon as possible. :). I kinda agree that at some point we all would get to point where everyone would enjoy reading something different–– in which case we would need to find some good books. Thanks for your input.

You are very welcome, but the real appreciation is for those who contributed by giving us so much resources. And of course, “Who Is She” is interesting; I have been listening to it like a million time. Lol

I just have to agree. It is probably why most people quit learning languages. I became sick from listening to the phrase “Cómo te llama/s?” haha. However, there is some great content out there which might make my and everyone’s beginning stage much much easier.

You are welcome, but again the real thanks goes to those who contributed to the question. I would absolutely check “La Cabecilla del Parador” out, although I feel it is going to be so challenging for me. Thanks.

I wish I could say thanks to each one individually, yet due to my business, I would like to thank everyone said something here. Thanks a lot for such valuable contributions here.

I want to keep fresh this topic because it helped me a lot.

“El Principito” is easier than I expected. I recommed it after “La Cabecilla del Parador”. “El Zorro” has only two episodes. Shame! “Radialistas” contains very interesting stories. Now I read the life of “Rosa Luxemburg”, an interesting story from “Radialistas”.

My favorite youtube channel after “Easy Spanish” (You can turn on the subtitles)

The website is also very useful.

On LingQ, I’ve enjoyed the Radialistas series the most. It has very professional production values. Although I think it is really made for a native audience, the episodes are under 5 minutes and the professional narrators make it easy to understand. I put about 50 episodes in my phone’s playlist and I put them on shuffle. I’ve been listening to these for a few months when I drive.

This free TV series “Destinos” is fantastic for beginning Spanish learners. 52 episodes about a half hour each. http://learner.org/series/destinos/index.html

It’s basically a mystery Telenovela with the actors speaking slowly and clearly.

Destinos Episode 1 is 90% English and 10% spanish. The rest of the series is 90% spanish, 10% english.

It took me about 3 episodes to really get into it, and then I was hooked. I only watch it about twice a month, so I still haven’t finished the series yet.

There is an interactive BBC mini web series “La Vida Loca” made for beginners:

The lessons are short, under 5 minutes each.

There are several versions of “who is she” available on LingQ - there are variations with different narrators. I recently discovered " ‘Who is she?’ Natural – " which is more of a native level, European Spanish… it sounds more like a thriller!

I think it is definitely important to find things that you think are interesting…I find “beginner” content too boring as well.

What I did was to get a bunch of news articles about things I enjoy (basketball, coffee, Star Wars, etc) and just power through them. It was pretty challenging in the beginning, but since I loved the topics I kept going. After only a couple weeks, when I import new articles about those topics that I’ve read about before, they generally only have 15-30% new words, so it isn’t bad at all.

Also, if you can get a native speaker to read them for you (through iTalki for example) and import that audio into the LingQ lesson, you can then have interesting, personalized content with audio plus transcript.

Someone mentioned News In Slow Spanish earlier. I second that suggestion…I have a subscription and it is great even for beginners (like me).

I don’t know how I managed to overlook this site, it is exactly what I’ve been looking for! Thank you x100

Hey Dear Learner, (I don’t want to write your name and make a mistake, lol ),
Thanks for your input.I have watched three episodes from the popular show “Extra en Español.”
I have watched each episode of the three about ten times-- in order to get a better understanding and to learn more. I am really excited to try something new which would probably be the "Destinos.“I did also bookmarked the “La vida Loca,” which it seems to be an interesting series to cheek out. I am not sure if I would be able to listen to the Radialistas series though, since I am a beginner, but it worth saving it for later. I found yesterday a series called " Diario escolar” on LingQ which I think it is cool–so far at least. Thanks to you and everyone else, I have many interesting content to choose from. Thanks a lot and have a wonderful day.

Sounds really fun. I am so excited to cheek out all these different series. Thanks for your great effort.

Yes, it is absolutely challenging to find interesting content for beginners, yet if we fail to find some content that intereste us, it is really difficult to move on in learning the language which we like. I would try out some slow news since I like news, lol. Thanks for your helpful input.

I have been listing to “Who is She - Spain” which is shared by “alsuvi.” And yes, I keep seeing many “Who Is She” series. Yet most of them are too fast for me. Even if I know every single word-- which is usually not the case-- I fail to follow the speaker.