In time, I was able to {hold up my end} of most conversations

hold (one’s) end up
To fulfill one’s part of an agreement; do one’s share

I do not quite understand the phrase in the sentence I put in the title.

Does it mean he was able to be active during conversations and not only listen to what others were speaking?
Does do one’s share mean to take part in sth actively?

Well,

I’m not a native speaker, however it seems that if you put it that way:

In time, I was able to {do my share} of most conversations.

It gets a meaning that one was able to participate (to be active) in the conversations.

And yes, to do one’s share of a job means that he or she does his or her job actively :slight_smile:

hai tjankus,

i’m muhamed, can you share how to become native speker, i had done to become like you, but it is very hard to me.

I dont know if anyone still reads this thread, but I am an native English speaker and here is my take on this phrase…

to “hold up one’s end” refers to a difficult process of moving something, something that is probably heavy and requires the strength of 2 or more people.

so, in order for the heavy object to be moved well, all people need to be able to LIFT, or HOLD UP their OWN PART of the object.

So if all people contribute, then no one person is doing more work than another.

In conversations, it is better for 2 people to take part equally than just to have one person doing all of the talking. If only one person is speaking, then it isnt much of a conversation. The other person is NOT holding up their end…

Arjan, your explanation is very clear to me and now I have absolutely no trouble with this idiom

thanks, you all.