Improving Your Vocabulary: My Personal Journey!----"This is not about advertising or promoting anything." NO NEED SRS TRADITIONAL BORING APROACH ANYMORE

Are you tired of traditional vocabulary learning methods? I’ve discovered a dynamic approach that’s revolutionized my Chinese vocabulary acquisition, and I’m excited to share it with you all as a fellow learner.

How I Approach It:

1. Utilizing Real-Time Context:
"When I encounter a new word while studying, instead of manually typing its meaning, I copy the YouTube video link from that moment and paste it into the word’s meaning box. This links the word directly to a relevant video snippet. "You can copy the YouTube video link within the LingQ app itself by simply right-clicking on the small YouTube video window that appears within the application.
"When you click on a word within the lesson, the Saved Meaning section unfolds to the right. Typically, I accept one of the proposed definitions, but you can open more meanings by clicking on the ‘+’ symbol. In this new field for the additional definition, I input the YouTube URL associated with the word, capturing only the snippet starting with the word or phrase I’m learning.
“The YouTube video URL is available within LingQ in the small window of the lesson video you’ve imported. You can copy the URL from the current moment.”

2. Refining Vocabulary Review:
In the vocabulary review section, I search for “http” to filter words that have YouTube links in their definitions (meaning containing dropdown list). This helps narrow down the list to words linked to videos.

3. Accessing Contextual Pronunciation:
Clicking on these filtered words opens the associated video, allowing me to see and hear the word pronounced in context.

4. Exploring Additional Filters:
I also experiment with filtering by tags or sorting by recency to further tailor my vocabulary review experience.

Why I Find It Effective:

This approach offers a departure from traditional spaced repetition systems like Anki.

By immersing yourself in real-time contexts, you not only learn pronunciation but also grasp the word’s usage within a sentence. Plus, by contributing your own video-linked definitions, you’re not just helping yourself but also assisting others in their learning journey.

I dont use excel files manual input anymore.

I dont need to type a lot of definitions. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: This way I remain INSIDE LINGQ during all my learning. I dont need to take notes.
"Well, in addition, you all know that the LingQ app offers the possibility to export your vocabulary. When you do this and then automatically import it into an Excel sheet, it looks great to see each word or phrase you’re trying to study in one column, and in the next column or another column, you’ll see the meaning of that word or phrase. Many times, you have a lot of meanings. In my case, I have a brief definition, and then the rest are not definitions but a list of URLs corresponding to that word in YouTube videos found in the part that corresponds and says that word.
“So all I have to do in Excel is click on those URLs, and it automatically launches the YouTube page. I no longer have to select the entire phrase corresponding to the URL with the mouse and then choose to open it in a new window.”
you can discover new channels and content creators

“Moreover, if all users also adopt this method of utilizing URLs, it can lead to an improved learning experience. By exploring linked videos shared by others, you can discover new channels and content creators offering valuable resources for learning Chinese, thereby expanding your exposure to the language.”

I encourage everyone to consider trying out this method and contributing to our collaborative learning environment. Let’s enhance our language learning together!

this is the sequence:

this is a common word definition looks like. The old way has length limits, context not precise,no sound,need copy paste or input manually the text.

this is how to filter vocab

this is what it seems when reviewing my recent vocab

this is after exporting to excel. By just clicking url (no need to prior select text) video is lunched to the corresponding sentence

7 Likes

Apparently it only works with phone app, not website?

1 Like

Then I don’t understand what the sentence below means. “While studying…” what? Are you studying a youtube video you have imported into LingQ? I’m not criticizing the method. I’m just not sure it’s clear what you are proposing despite a lot of detail. Not everyone is clear on how to use many of the features of LingQ.

2 Likes

Interesting. Thank you for sharing.

2 Likes

“Thank you for your question. The phrase ‘While studying…’ refers to when you are studying within the LingQ application and come across an unfamiliar word. If you are using a YouTube video imported within LingQ, you can take advantage of the option to view the meaning of a word by clicking on it. The particularity here is that, since the YouTube video is embedded within the LingQ application, you can right-click on the video window and copy the URL from the current position. Then, you can paste that URL into the meaning field of the word in question. This allows you to directly associate the word with a snippet of the YouTube video, making contextual understanding easier. I hope this clarifies your question about the method. If you need more details or have other questions about using LingQ’s features, feel free to ask. I’m here to help.”
“By doing this, when you encounter that word in another lesson, you’ll be able to directly view the YouTube video containing that word or phrase.”
“When you click on a word within the lesson, the Saved Meaning section unfolds to the right. Typically, I accept one of the proposed definitions, but you can open more meanings by clicking on the ‘+’ symbol. In this new field for the additional definition, is where I input the YouTube URL associated with the word, not the entire video, but only the snippet starting with the word or phrase I’m learning.”

1 Like

I do agree with you that standard Anki, one word, one or more translations, is poor. In order to learn a word, the brain needs context, i.e. a phrase. The brain is designed to learn from words in context, and not from a dictionary.

The main fault in your method is that it forces you to subscribe to LingQ and pay £100+ a year. That’s why I use Anki. I don’t have an audio clip, but I listen to so much French anyway that it doesn’t matter. And your method sounds rather fiddly.

1 Like

hi you can recheck my initial post. I insert pictures with the sequence. Thanks for your comments

1 Like

you can implement also within anki, but in meaning seccion insert url.
I have tried a lot of app and still use some of them but LINGQ is the core of my learning.

1 Like

thanks for your comment, you are welcome

1 Like

Thanks. I’ve been using LingQ for nearly two years (Norwegian and Spanish), and was unaware of that feature. Turns out there are lots of features I haven’t used for a variety of reasons. I’ll give it a try and give your method a more informed look. Thanks for the clarification.

2 Likes

This is a great approach. Thanks for the showing examples through photos!

1 Like

“Hi there! Thank you so much for your comment. I truly appreciate it. I also find this method incredibly useful as it saves me a lot of time and it’s not as dull as traditional SRS programs like Anki. I enjoy being able to watch video segments related to the words or phrases I’m learning. Plus, since I already have prior knowledge of the videos, I have the chance to delve a bit deeper into segments if I want to. This makes it feel less like a pure repetition of word-for-word or phrase-for-phrase, and more natural and engaging. Thanks again for your comment!”

2 Likes

I really like your thoughts on this and think this a good idea. Although, I can think of several shortcomings which you may want to think about.

1. Some language/translation pairings already have 100 hints. If you include URLs in this way, it will be firmly on the bottom of the list due to only being selected as a LingQ once. (By you)

2. The process is incredibly manual and would be quite tedious for me. I need to pause the video, click the word, copy the url, paste into the extra hint box. Once, Twice… Sure…! But for 400 words… That is just not happening.

3. You can’t click the link from the hint box. I can copy, paste, new tab. Or follow your instructions to export from the vocab list, which just brings me to a spreadsheet. (What we want to avoid)

What I think needs to happen
Either LingQ needs to add a field on each sentence fragment to allow input of a URL, and have it automatically happen. Or you could put together a script that automatically includes the Youtube URL in the data when you LingQ the word.

Interested in your thoughts about improving the method

5 Likes

thanks for your comments, much apreciated!

1 Like