Hello! Is there a way to import website links/PDFs of languages which are currently non-beta and unsupported?
For reference, I’d like to import some Urdu pdfs/articles into Lingq. It has the same script as Arabic and Persian (which are both supported).
As far as I understand, the requirements for beta and supported languages has to do with content present on Lingq. But is there just a way to import content from outside and create lingqs on that (by leveraging the existing translation and word lingq-ing technology)? No need for content like mini-stories, just importing content from other pdfs/websites. Thanks!
The current workaround is exploiting language slots you won’t use such as maybe Latin or Esperanto. Manual importing and LingQing should work without a problem. I would suggest not to use the Arabic or Persian slot in your case because you could run into problems with homonyms between Urdu and Arabic or Persian which can be ruled out if the script is different.
LingQ is not going to introduce private i.e. user related-specific languages soon. Questions like yours arise all the time and that has always been the answer.
I actually tried this exact method before posting my question. I imported Urdu into a Dutch slot. The problem I was encountering was that when I was trying to make Lingqs, the dictionary wasn’t giving any translations. That was obviously because Google Translate, for example, was considering the Urdu input to be from the Dutch language. So I would have to manually open Google Translate and change the input to “Urdu” from “Dutch” for each and every lingq that I were to make.
Is there a way to be able to change the default so that Google Translate (and/or other dictionaries) wouldn’t necessarily assume the source is Dutch to begin with? That would pretty much fix the entire problem for me, tbh.
Dutch is one of the primary languages on the site. I’d suggest to use one of the beta languages. I’m guessing you probably will still run into the issue unfortunately, but I’ve never tried so I don’t know for sure.
Tried it with Latin too! Problem is that when I click the Google Translate dictionary, it automatically does a Latin-English translation instead of trying to detect the language itself.
Is there a way to change the default so that instead of assuming the input as Latin, the dictionary first tries to detect the language (or better yet, be able to indicate that it is Urdu and not Latin)?
For the record:
I also tried to import وفاق کورونا کے بجائے سندھ حکومت سے لڑ رہا ہے، بلاول بھٹو زردار using the Lingq extension on Bulgarian and Gujrati (which are both BETA) languages, and got this error both times:
“There was an error opening this lesson. We have been notified and will investigate this issue. You will be redirected to the home page where you can try opening another lesson.”
Having the ability to make our own “unsupported language” slots would be one of the best features this site could add. I’ve been reading Irish and Maltese for some time now and would love to able to move that onto LingQ.
This blog might be of some help if you’re learning Urdu or Pashto. https://japanimede.blogspot.com/
Thanks! for sharing! I’m already a native Urdu speaker (albeit with very poor vocabulary), so was hoping to use Lingq to just be able to read books and news articles without having to open a dictionary to translate the complicated words/phrases.
I’ve also found ‘ReadLang’ which is a chrome extension that does the automatic translation I need. But would be great if I could do this on Lingq which has a lot of the other features I am using and paying for.
Honestly, this would be a great feature.
From what I understand, the bottle-neck is not having any Lingq content like the mini-stories. But if people are able to import their own content and use that (and have no need as such for any Lingq-provided content), then the rest of the technology already exists. Not sure why this feature doesn’t exist already, it sounds extremely useful.