Importing from YouTube is taking forever. Is it still available?

It’s over a month now that I haven’t been able to import content, i.e. what I use Lingq for.

As a customer for several years, I really like Lingq overall. However, it’s getting to the point where I am considering asking for a refund of my yearly subscription.

4 Likes

In another thread it says LinkQ won’t support videos without captions, is that true? Most videos have no caption.

How to import Youtube videos without captions - Knowledge Base / Importing - LingQ Language Forums

2 Likes

If the importing of videos without caption is no longer possible, the suggested workaround may become cumbersome as the size limit of the audio file still stands at 60 mb. This may prove to be a problem for long videos, i.e., once converted into audio files at 128kbps (the minimum bit rate), the file size usually exceed 60mb. Would it be possible to please increase the file size to at least 100mb? Else the converted audio file must be split into multiple files using an editing tool and each file must be imported infividually. Thanks

2 Likes

I just tried to import some vides with caption and I still get the error message “Importing failed. No caption found”.

1 Like

They no longer support direct import:

They couldn’t even be bothered to mention that in this thread.

3 Likes

If this is the case, how does it come that I am able to download it with YouTube Playlist Downloader without any problems? Also, yt-dlp works like a charm, a program needed to access member only videos.

The problem with having the LINGQ server do all the YTDLP functions is that LingQs IP makes enormous amounts of requests to YouTube. YouTube is actively preventing this behaviour. They would need to develop a client side solution that works across multiple devices (good luck) to make distributed requests acting like a normal user would. Otherwise they will face the issue of constantly rotating IPs, setting up new servers etc. legal notices with no merit but scary letterhead etc.

5 Likes

I think saying an app is “no longer supported” isn’t the same as saying it no longer exists. The import app may still exist, and may still work for certain things, some of the time, but it isn’t being supported because it’s too problematic. Does that make sense?

What I don’t understand is why we can’t simply upload an mp4 file with video and audio. Why do we need to upload our own audio file and then link it to a YouTube video? Is there a technical reason for that?

1 Like

I just did that actually. there was no point in paying for something that’ seems to be no longer offered.

3 Likes

My comment was a referring to the last post I quoted: Youtube actively works to prevent the ripping of audio from videos

This is obviously not true, as @roosterburton explained.

Wouldn’t it be possible to let the plugin download the content on our device (PC, smartphone, whatever) and then upload that to the LingQ servers? I mean, we have accessed the YouTube video anywas, so…

1 Like

An update regarding YT importing:

1 Like

YouTube allow third parties to create plug ins for the YouTube Share feature so clearly it is not a closed system.

An iOS user can run a Python script to download a YouTube video. I don’t know if this uses a YouTube service, or just connects as per a HTML page that displays a video. Either way, Apple support Python script execution. No doubt Android and Windows do too. However, it is rather tedious.

It sounds like a good idea. But wouldn’t LingQ have to do the request using their server side architecture and thus use their IP address? And why would that work, when the current LingQ solution fails?

I can’t speak for the details, as I am not proficient in regards to network programming and architecture. @roosterburton probably knows better.

In regards to why something that could be possible doesn’t work in LingQ … honestly, I gave up wondering.

YTDLP relies on system modules for FFMPEG that are not accessible via browser extension / phone device etc. It is my understanding that LINGQ uses a setup like that where you send them the url and then YTDLP runs on their server and handles the audio extraction, conversion and whisper etc.

YouTube doesn’t natively provide mp3 files in their returned data meaning that Some sort of conversion of required before sending uploading it. (This is another LingQ limitation of not accepting video /non mp3/m4a files)

Everything required to download the full data is returned in a basic page request (could be initiated by the user) although the audio is generally protected by some sort of cipher. There are methods to extract the audio data client side but I won’t get into that here.

I generally like LINGQ and think the devs do a good job and it definitely helps my business that they would do something like that. But I don’t think the current solution is good for the platform.

6 Likes

@roosterburton In light of recent developments, how will they affect the features of Rooster Playlist Importer? It looks like it won’t be able to import playlist w/o caption. But what about playlists with caption? Thanls

1 Like

All videos and import methods are still supported via the Rooster Import tool

3 Likes

@zoran What about videos with caption? Any update? Thanks

1 Like

OK, I’m not Zoran, but: Videos with captions manually created by the author of the video can still be imported without any problems. It doesn’t work with automatically created captions, which doesn’t bother me. Because such captions are a nightmare anyway and useless for learning.

1 Like

The issue here is the 60mb limit for audio file import: lectures which I usually import into Lingq are long and, once converted into audio files, the size easily exceeds 60mb. This forces me to a laborious and long editing process to split them into parts and upload them individually. I would love to avoid this (if possible) by having an higher file size limit.

2 Likes

@berilo1 We’ll see what can be done regarding this limit.

Regarding the issue with auto-generated subtitles (no captions found error), we made some breakthrough in solving this one too and I hope we will push a fix soon.

4 Likes