Import ebook files

I am currently trying to import a book with a file type of “TXT” and it seems to be only importing 1 lesson when there should be 70?

It imports the first part and opens that part right away, then should continue importing additional parts after that. If you open the course a few minutes later, you should then see all the parts. It does look like only 1 part has imported initially even on the course page but it should update if you refresh.

Okay thanks but I have done that and have left the lesson but still only 1 lesson is appearing?

In that case, can you send that file to us in Support so we can try it ourselves and see what is going on there.

yeah of course is lingq_@support.com that the right email address?

Yes, that’s right.

OH YEAAAAAAA, I WANNA MARRY THIS APP

still having trouble trying to import a book I have tried both TXT and Epub it is saying “There was an error importing this file. Please ensure all digital protection has been removed” I have purchased this book from amazon?

Amazon ebooks are protected. Did you remove the DRM? If protected you cannot converse it to txt.

Thanks n,n I was able to import 2 books. Getting around DRM was annoying and I’m glad that its set to private just incase.

Awesome! LingQ is getting better and better by the day!

I discovered this last night while uploading my next book. I was very excited! Unfortunately I couldn’t upload the epub file direclty because of the DRM. When I tried uploading a pdf file the formatting was very bad. I ended up back with the old copy/paste method from a txt file. -I am super hopeful that this will work soon, as I think using Lingq as an ereader is THE best reason to be a member. If someday we can get epub formatting + Lingq functionality, I will offer to pay more for my subscription :slight_smile:

@ak49r - I think both epub and pdf should be working. If you are having formatting problems, please email support explaining the issues and including your file and we will see what we can do.

Hey mark, I can upload books I like in a variety of formats, which you do you think Lingq likes best or is most compatible. It doesn’t really matter to me but most of my stuff is easy to access as .docx, does that work good?

I should think all formats should work equally well. There can be strange formatting within these files sometimes that can interfere with formatting but, in general, all formats are fine.

Is there a recommended limit with a number of words when importing ebooks? I tried importing a couple of books last night. Books with less than 350 pages imported with no issues but 600+ page book imported only 1 lesson and stopped. I am using txt UTF-8 format for imports.

There isn’t a limit. 600 pages isn’t that long and should import properly. Can you try it again? If it still doesn’t work, you may have to send us the file so we can test it and see what is happening there.

it doesn t work. I 've already tryed with 6 books for myself, and it never works.
I’ve already sent you one book, and after you checked and fixed the system failure/error the lingq server has been able to split the books correctly
Basically looks like the import function is still under development and the system returns mainly two errors during the splitting process:

1. the system imports only one part of the book under the name part (1) , which cointains probably the first 10-20 pages of the book and fails to create the following parts;
  2. the system splits the book correctly creating several parts but each part shares exactly the same content.

I’ve had problems, too. I don’t understand why they didn’t test the feature like they did when they redesigned the Android/iOS apps.

@tagliuzz, Estela - It’s simply not possible to import every imaginable book and file type to make sure they work. We tested a range of books and filetypes which work. If you then try to import a book that has some inconsistencies or issues, they can sometimes not work properly. That is why we ask you to send the files that are causing problems so we can figure out why they failed to import. Only by having users send these through will the importer eventually be able to handle most of these edge cases. We aren’t fixing the files, we are identifying the reason why the imports failed and fixing them for that case. There is no other way I’m afraid.

Keep sending in any books that fail to import properly along with the system and browser you are using and that feature will become more and more reliable.