I added my first Turkish Lesson

Hi everyone,

If you want to learn Turkish,I can help you as a native speaker. I also want to improve my English and French level.
If you have any question about Turkish,please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Hi i want to learn turkish, Do you know any good books to learn with?

Hi glory,
I don’t know any Turkish language book which is sold in your country.Maybe you can tell me some book’s name and I can say ‘yes,I know that book or no’.

how difficult is it to learn turkish? i mean the words dont even seem to look easy to read

Easy is a relative term. Turkish is written in the Roman alphabet. If you find it difficult to read Turkish try Russian, Japanese, Korean, Arabic or Chinese.

@aiouche

The sound of the language a little bit different,and it’s an agglutinative language.If you want to learn Turkish,be prepared for a kind of suffixes game.I think,it’s not as difficult as you thought.It’s all about your ambition,how much do you want to learn Turkish.When you get involved in the language,you’ll start to feel familiar.I’m suprised that some learners were able to progress so well.
Anyway,you’re more than welcome to think to start Turkish.

As an enthusiastic student of Turkish for more than a year, I can say the following:

Reasons why Turkish might be easy:

• it’s very logical; there are almost no exceptions to grammatical rules
  • verbs are conjugated perfectly regularly, almost no exceptions there as well
  • nouns don’t have genders - which makes it easier than German, French, Spanish etc.
  • it’s agglutinative, so for example if you learn a suffix for an abstract noun (“-lık”), you’re able to understand all abstract nouns and create your own as well: güzel - beautiful, güzellik - beauty; çocuk - child, çocukluk - childhood
  • its alphabet and pronunciation are very easy to learn

Reasons why Turkish might be difficult:

• it’s very different from most European languages, both grammatically and lexically
  • some constructions cannot be really translated into English, so you’ll have start thinking in Turkish sooner or later (preferably sooner)
  • some students might be afraid of vowel harmony, but in fact this feature makes pronouncing Turkish even easier and more natural - and if you’re dilligent, you’ll master vowel harmony in an hour or two

@Customic: “…it’s very different from most European languages […] lexically”

True. But if you know some Arabic and Persian (especially the former) you do get some discount with Turkish vocab, I believe?

Turkish is a very attractive language - complex yet extremely regular. (It went onto my personal language-hitlist some time ago.)

I believe that that’s true but less true that on the Turkish of earlier times. Ottoman Turkish, for example, was far more influenced by those two languages.

@lmy,@JayB

If you know some French you do get some discount with Turkish vocabulary,too.There are a lot of words(more than below)

bikini (bikini)

asansör (ascenseur)

diyet (diète)

benzin (benzine)

kuaför (coiffeur)

ambulans (ambulance)

küvet (cuvette)

helikopter (hélicoptère)

gazoz (gazeuse)

misket (mousquet)

otel (hôtel)

külot (culotte)

abajur (abat-jour)

afiş (affiche)

akrobat (acrobate)

aksesuar (accessoire)

aktör (acteur)

aktris (actrice)

alarm (alarme)

albüm (album)

alerji (allergie)

alkol (alcool)

alo (allô)

alüminyum (aluminium)

alyans (alliance)

ambalaj (emballage)

amiral (amiral)

ampul (ampoule)

anket (enquête)

ansiklopedi (encyclopédie)

anten (antenne)

antibiyotik (antibiotique)

apartman (appartement)

arkeolog (archéologue)

asfalt (asphalte)

aspirin (aspirine)

astroloji (astrologie)

atlet (athlète)

atmosfer (atmosphère)

atom (atome)

avukat(avocat)

badana (badigeonne)

bagaj (bagage)

bale (ballet)

balkon (balcon)

balon (ballon)

banknot (bank-note)

bant (bande)

baraj (barrage)

bariyer (barrière)

basen (bassin)

baskül (bascule)

bateri (batterie)

bere (béret)

beton (béton)

biberon (biberon)

bidon (bidon)

biftek (bifteck)

bijuteri (bijouterie)

bisiklet (bicyclette)

bisküvi (biscuit)

bluz (blouse)

boks (boxe)

bonfile (bon filet)

bot (botte)

buket (bouquet)

buldozer (bulldozer)

büro (bureau)

ceket (jaquette)

daktilo (dactylo)

dans (danse)

dantel (dentelle)

dedektif (détective)

dekolte (décolleté/e)

depresyon (dèpression)

desen (dessein)

deterjan (détergent)

dinozor (dinosaure)

direksiyon (direction)

doktor (docteur)

duş (douche)

egzersiz (exercice)

ekran (écran)

emaye (émaillé/e)

eşarp (écharpe)

eşofman (échauffement)

far (phare)

fayton (phaéton)

fermuar (fermoir)

file (filet)

fok (phoque)

füze (fusée)

galoş (galoche)

garaj (garage)

gardırop (garderobe)

gardiyan (gardien/ne)

garson (garçon)

gitar (guitare)

gofret (gaufrette)

golf (golf)

goril (gorille)

hamak (hamac)

hoparlör (haut-parleur)

iskelet (squelette)

jaguar (jaguar)

jartiyer (jarretière)

jimnastik (gymnastique)

jöle (gelée)

@lmy
There are also some similar words in Navajo&Turkish.
yanunda-yanında
atağ-ata
kün-gün
tepek-tepe
tekun-tekin
çakira-çakır
yaşıl-yeşil…etc…
I have some friends from Israel.We have some similar words too.

@ozne: “…There are also some similar words in Navajo&Turkish.”

That’s very interesting - I wonder why there would be a similarity between these languages?

There isn’t a genetic connection between Turkish and Navajo or Hebrew. You’ll find random chance provides some words which seem to be related.

I don’t see any Navajo words in the above post anyway.

It’s like saying that Warlpiri ‘kurdu’ is related to English ‘kid’. To see if languages are related, you have to take them back through their historical forms and not just their modern forms. One might think it is obvious that Spanish and French are related because of looking at them but think of this: Imagine if English replaced more like 95% of its Germanic vocabulary with Romance words. Then imagine that the grammar was influenced even more. It would not be hard to think that English is a romance language. But, we know that this is not the case.

However, there was possible once interaction between the Dené–Yeniseian languages and the Turkish language many thousands of years ago.

@JayB,@lmy
Hi,
First of all,I should mention that I’m not a linguist,but I’ve heard before that there were some researches on this subject,
I’m saying again,I’m not a linguist!I do not have much information about the roots of languages.Maybe,there would be just sound similarity.
Yes,I also heard interaction between the Dené/Yeniseian languages and the Turkish language.

Please check this out; http://ireland.iol.ie/~afifi/Articles/turkic.htm

Not a very good paper. He’s taken words which are usually very similar in all the languages of the world.

i am sorry for replying this late
@ steve
you are right i thought of russian before but just the writing was weird enough for me to let go that thought
but arabic is my native language and i admit its hard to master it

@onze
thxx i already am on it i started with ur lessons and wont back off until at least “halfly” satisfied, u just keep feeding us with such lessons
and thanks for those french-turkish words