How to use your Kindle to study a foreign language

The wonderful André Klein (known to members here as “Grokker”) has written another useful piece:

Even I as a technophobe ought to be able to follow his advice. Thanks, André!

N.B. The link needs to be repaired between “…kindle-to-study…”

Thanks, Susanne. I bought a Kindle a few weeks ago and now I’ve learnt a few new ways to use it.

@SanneT

Everyone raves on about the Kindle. Aber meiner Meinung nach ist der Sony-eReader noch besser, was das Erlernen von Fremdsprachen betrifft…

Very interesting article. Thanks.

@Rank: the inconvenience of the Sony Reader, which I also have, is that the dictionary are English-based, so they are very useful to English speakers but not to the others. While I read a novel in German, the English translation is not always useful.
The Kindle includes monolingual dictionaries in English, French, German, Spanish, Portuguese and Italian and you can add more (not possible with the Sony Reader).

That’s a fair point Mike - obviously I’m seeing things from my standpoint as a native speaker of English. :wink:

(I stand by what I said though: for me personally the eReader has proven to be a very good tool.)

I use my Kindle simply as a portable bookcase at the moment, without using any dictionaries. I understand that the Sony Reader has a wider choice of foreign authors, something which would interest me. The Kindle is a bit limited in that way, but as it was a birthday present, I am not complaining!

The pocketbook 602 or 902 have a HUGE number of bilingual and monolingual dictionaries, including Lingvo

AND they display books in a variety of formats, including .doc, .txt and .pdf

AND multilingual text to speech

AND you can listen to the lesson while reading the transcript

AND there’s a 9 inch screen version which I fancy for reading textbooks in PDF form.

http://tinyurl.com/cdsxcfo

I did look at those readers, too, but they were quite expensive… The new Kindle costs only 99 euros. A 9-inch reader would be too big for me.

The Kindle is designed to be a cheap and accessible way to easily access light reading in your native language, preferably English. It’s not designed with either language learners or students in mind, except in that it’s cheap.