How to use lingq?

I’ve known about this website for a long time, and i never really got the hang of it is because i never understood how to learn a language on this website, I mean i start a course read the material, maybe write down some words… then what ? move on to the next lesson and do the same thing ?? Am i doing something wrong or is that how you’re suppose to learn a language on lingq, HELP !!!

1 Like

Yes, you read and listen. Words you don’t know you click to see their meaning. It’s a great way to get to the next level in a language.

Read these tips

"even tips on how to learn languages at LingQ.

Everyone has their own way of learning languages at LingQ. If you had to advise someone on what YOU consider the most important things to do in order to get the most out of LingQ, what would you say? Please post here in any language you would like.

Here are my seven points.

1. To get the most out of LingQ you need to listen a lot. Make sure you have a good MP3 player and know how to get your desired content from the LingQ Library onto your MP3 player. Carry your MP3 player with you wherever you go.
  2. Create lots of LingQs. As your cursor travels across the text you are reading, when you see a word you do not know, or would like to know better, or would like to be able to use, grab it. If there are user hints, take one. If not, click on New Hint. Do the same for phrases. Make sure you create as many LingQs as possible. 100 a day is not too many!
  3. If you have saved a lot of LingQs, you will see them highlighted in yellow on your text, when you read. Treat your reading at LingQ as a powerful way to learn words and phrases and usage patterns, and not just a reading experience. At first you cannot even remember the meaning of the words you saved. After a few months there will be few words or phrases that you do not understand.
  4. When reviewing your saved words using Flash Cards, do not expect to learn them all. Just go through them quickly. Do so immediately after you finish reading a text and have pressed “I Know All”. Do so again when you receive your email with your LingQs for review. But do so quickly. Do not worry about what you cannot remember. Some words stick and others just won’t.
  5. Talk to a tutor once a week. It will keep you motivated. If you have a specific problem, or if you really enjoy your discussions with tutors, you can always go for more. However, a once a week commitment makes sure that you stay focused.
  6. Write on the Forum in the language you are learning, at least once a week. Use the Post and Submit button, to post your comments and submit them for correction at the same time.
  7. Make lots of friends on the Community, the more the better. Find people from your own country, or people studying the same languages as you, or members and tutors who speak those languages. The more friends you have, the more you will be connected to other members of the community. This will sustain your interest and keep you going, and help you achieve your goals."-- steve kaufmann

Hi mik!

A lot of help from other users!

The general idea is that you want to get rid of the blue words on the lesson page and create LingQs (yellow words) for the words you don’t understand or want to learn better. When you click on a blue word you see different hints for that word in the dashboard on the right-hand side of the page. Choose one of the hints or check the dictionary to create your own hint. You can also tell us if you know the word already or you may sometimes want to ignore the word and not include it in your stats.

You should also look at the Help page Help. In particular, you should take a look at these three pages -
How do I learn on LingQ? - Getting Started
Two weeks at LingQ Academy - Getting Started - Two Weeks at LingQ Academy
Learn about our method - Learn languages from what you're interested in!

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck!

Thank you for posting these! It helped me out a lot :slight_smile: