How to see and remove known words?

How can I see a list of my known words and remove ones that aren’t known? I just signed up and accidentally marked several pages of words known, because I couldn’t figure out how to read through a course without marking each word one by one.

(That’s my next question, is it possible to “browse” through a course without marking every word in it known or not known?)

So now I have 100+ known words despite probably not knowing most of them.

2 Likes

Hi Lina505, go to settings (click on your name logo), scroll to reader and untick ‘pages move to known’. To see your saved linq words go to vocabulary and you can change the status there. It doesn’t matter if you have a lingq word with a different status than you think it should have as you can change it every time you encounter it. I sometimes change words back to 1 or 2 that were previously known as I’d forgotten them. All the lingq does really is show that you’ve encountered the word before and you can change it’s status number each time you see it until hopefully it sticks and then you can change it to learned.

2 Likes

Thanks very much. I’ve unticked ‘pages move to known’. Is it possible for me to advance to the next page in a course without tagging each word as known or unknown? I was trying to look through a few to see if they were at the right level/interesting before I committed to them.

1 Like

Yes, just make sure to disable “Paging moves to Known” option under Settings > Reader.

1 Like

Returning to the original question - “can I see a list of my known words and remove ones that aren’t known”. I guess this is still impossible? :frowning:

1 Like

I try not to worry about my known words. If I accidentally let unknown words be marked known, they’re bound to reappear sooner or later in a text, and I’ll catch them when they do.

If you get Rooster Observer (premium) then you can open any lesson and see the “known” words, and then you can go through and change the status of words that don’t belong in that list.

Without that browser addon, you can go to a lesson and just open the sidebar on the right of the page to see all the words in the lesson, and you can then either (1) find the words in the lesson and change their status or (2) edit the current sentence, adding to the end of the sentence all the words whose status you want to change, save your changes, and then just click each word to change its status.

Edited to add:
If you recently joined, your known words aren’t that high yet, so you can go to:

https://www.lingq.com/api/languages/ko/known-words/?page=1&page_size=100&cardsTranslitFormat=list

Change “ko” to whatever your language abbreviation is. That will give you a list. I would just copy/paste this list into a lesson and then you can click on each word to change the status if desired.

Good luck!

3 Likes

Hi WillowMeDown. Thank you very much! The provided link is a treasure!
Do you know if there is a way to remove a word from the known list completely? I see only the following options:

Clicking on the “Ignore” icon (the trash can) will prevent the word from appearing in the future. Ideally, I want to clean up all accidentally added words so I can add them later, potentially as part of a phrase with surrounding words.

I was also able to get the list of ignored words by replacing “known-words” with “ignored-words” in the URL.

I think this post by @roosterburton might help?

https://forum.lingq.com/t/solution-known-word-new-word/145147

1 Like

@WillowMeDown, I cannot even express how helpful your reply and the script written by @roosterburton are! I’ve adapted the script for my needs (with a bit of Python) and this solves all the major issues I had with the current Lingq limitations. Thank you, you are the heroes!

2 Likes

Glad to be able to help and glad you tagged Rooster too because he really did all the work.

:slight_smile:

This should really be disabled by default. Having so many words being marked as known, when moving pages, is unintuitive and confusing for new users.

1 Like

Certainly it should be disabled by default.

At least there is the option to disable, though I doubt it occurs to many users that such a violation of user interface ;principles would be considered a default that could be disabled in a control panel.

However, when it comes to the terrible global mark-to-known at the end of the lesson, there is no such setting to disable. For no good reason I can see.

It’s a bad choice which LingQ is stubbornly committed to.

@zoran – so what is the rationale for violating user interface principles and unpleasantly surprising many users, also known as customers. who really don’t like that design choice?

WRT to the end of the lesson mark-to-known “feature,” you said in another of these many topics, that there was no reason not to mark all blue words to known.

What is that reason? That’s not how I, and many others, work or want to work. Why is this being forced on us without even the option to disable?

1 Like