How to impress a Japanese person

If a Japanese person introduces himself and starts speaking to you in english, say “oo, eigo o jozu desu ne?”

warning: if this is happening outside of Japan this may scare him

When I was in London, a British person said; "Are you Japanese? Aaa bikkuri shita!(I’m surprised.)
It was the only word in Japanese he knew and I was impressed and laughed :slight_smile:

What does it mean?

“oo, eigo o jozu desu ne?” = “oh, your english is very good!”

Aaa bikkuri shita! = I’m surprised. The Japanese say that more than it would be said in English. Maybe a more functional translation would be “woah” or “oops”.

doo- how about "oh, cool!’ (I know they also have “sugoi” but that’'s more like “amazing!”)

"oh, cool!’ = “ii jyan”

ahh is “ii jyan” a shortening of “Ii ja ne”?

“ii jyan” = “ii jya nai”

I fail to see how any of those phrases would impress anyone. It might surprise them, but impress them?

alexandrec Japanese people would be surprised to see a foreigner speaking (or even attempting to speak) Japanese even in their own country since most think their language is extremly complex.

@yuriythebest
As you wrote, I was also surprised to see foreigners speaking Japanese in the past because I thought that the Japanese language was complicated language. Now I am still not sure whether the Japanese language is difficult or not, however I know there are so many non-natives who are able to speak Japanese fluently. We can see those people on the Japanese TV programs and YouTube. I think that one of the common characters of those who speak Japanese fluently is that they are interested in Japanese cultures such as anime, manga, martial arts or so on.

@yuriythebest
As you wrote, I was also surprised to see foreigners speaking Japanese in the past because I thought that the Japanese language was complicated language. Now I am still not sure whether the Japanese language is difficult or not, however I know there are so many non-natives who are able to speak Japanese fluently. We can see those people on the Japanese TV programs and YouTube. I think that one of the common characters of those who speak Japanese fluently is that they are interested in Japanese cultures such as anime, manga, martial arts or so on.

I really love Judo. Of all the martial arts I have studied, Judo is the one I devote most of my attention to because of both its practicality and simply how much fun it is to practice. Even though it will be a few years before I start, Japanese is on my list of languages to learn primarily because I want to learn more about the culture of the people who created such a wonderful and effective martial art.