How to import a .csv file

Hi everyone,

This is a response to Giacomo’s thread.
I apologize for opening a new thread, but I wanted to add some pictures.

I also had problems importing my vocabulary list.
This is how I set up my .cvs file.

Very important: No commas allowed!
If you add a sentence, be sure you don’t have any comma in your file.

Once you’ve saved it, I recommend you to open it with the Notepad, or any other similar text editor.

As you can see instead of commas (,) I have semi-colons (:wink:
I replace the (:wink: with (,). You can use the ‘replace’ function obviously.
Save the file and it’s ready to import into LingQ.

I don’t know why but I get an error when I try to import a long list, so I usually don’t exceed 10 entries per file.

Good luck.

Hello, thank you for bothering.

I tried to implement your suggestions, to no avail.
I don’t understand why you open your excel cvs file with notepad afterwards, and which steps you’re taking sub-sequentially?

The .csv files use the comma ( , ) as symbol to separate columns. The problem as you can see in the picture is that in my country and maybe in yours too, the symbol that appears is the ( ; ) so I use the notepad to replace the ( ; ) to ( , ).
After this, I save the file without changing the .cvs extension and I can import the file in LingQ without any problems.
Be careful not to type any ( , ) in your vocabulary list becouse then the file will take this as a mark for a new column.

Hi, so I did an export to see what I get from LingQ, as a model to reimport. I’m now puzzled, because I can’t seem to get eXcell to display the output in any kind of readable form. I tried changing the font to Palatino Linotype, which is supposed to display greek, but no luck. What’s the trick? Obviously, I understand that the underlying file is a csv, but that also displays as garbage, from the command line.

Can you please try this:
After you download a CSV file from LingQ, close it and then create new regular EXCEL file. Open that new blank excel file and then:
Click on the DATA tab on the top and choose FROM TEXT option. Popup will appear and you should find your CSV file downloaded from LingQ, select it and click on IMPORT. On the next popup choose DELIMITED, click on NEXT and check TAB and COMMA options. Click on NEXT and then FINISH.
That should be it. You can then save the file again in CSV format if you want to import it somewhere.
Hope this helps!

1 Like