How to get list of ignored words

If it is not implemented then I’d like to know why it isn’t implemented.

1 Like

List of all known words and ignored words isn’t available. You can only see list of words you saved on the Vocabulary page.

1 Like

Why isn’t it available? I cannot see a fundamental technical problem which would prevent making it available.

5 Likes

We just think a list of all ignored words doesn’t make sense. Why would anyone choose to ignore a word, and then look for it later.

2 Likes

What if you made a mistake ignoring the word or decide later that the word was more important than you realized? I ignored at least 10 words just getting started with LingQ reading some text I imported because it wasn’t clear whether I should mark very complex words that I’m unlikely to see again anytime soon as known vs ignored. As a general software design principal, actions like this should be undoable. That was certainly my expectation as a user when marking a word to ignore.

2 Likes

If you mark word as Known or Ignore it by mistake, next time you encounter that word in a lesson, just select it and you can still save it as LingQ and add it to your Vocabulary.

2 Likes

As a mistake for some time now i’ve been ignoring words i should have marked as known. I would really appreciate an option to list ignored words, so that i can manually correct them into known :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have a feeling that some words get ingored by a bug, atleast there isn’t any other explanation that I can think of. I have also seen that words that I have lingqued turn to unknown, but if they turn ignored it would be harder to notice this while it happens. It’s also very hard to find these later as many times with languages that have lots of conjucations, by the time you run into the same conjucation, you’ve already learnt that word from all it’s conjucations. It’s only by coincidence that I happen to check that word, possibly to check range of it’s meanings, that I see it’s been ingored. I would find it useful if there was some way to sort the words more precisely so that you would only need to ignore names, misspellings and words of other languages. Right now lingqs easily fill up with words that aren’t necessary until you are very advanced, but also hard to know as a beginner if they will ever be useful. For the development of the program it would be useful to see ignored words as then it would be easier to report bugs.

2 Likes

If a user doesn’t understand the system at first, this can easily happen. Also, errors happen all the time, even with people who know the system.

I think LingQ should give users the ability to review lists of user-categorized words (i.e. known and ignored). In fact it seems crazy to me that the developers would not see any point in having this feature.

2 Likes

That works if the word is common, but not so much if it’s very rare. An editable list of ignored words would make it so much easier to do “housekeeping”.

Not the solution everyone wants, but I found that if you open up a lesson, then bring up the vocabulary list for that lesson, and then click on “all words” you can scroll through and see which words have been set to “ignore”. Not perfect but better than nothing. Hope this helps someone. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes