How to determine word grouping in the lesson?

In Chinese lessons, sometimes words are grouped incorrectly, like 压克力 (acrylic) is split into two parts 压 and 克力. When I select the whole word, it will be grouped into one block, but with a space between 压 and 克力 such that it is still not recognized as the word 压克力.

A different example: The words 都以 appear in one block, although they don’t belong together and should be in two single blocks. How can I do that?

We have the same probleme with Japanese, and I’m afraid there is nothing we can do about it yet; :confused:

Is the site still being developed? I could think of one quick solution that would solve this issue. Just a “split”-button that appears when you have currently selected a block that contains more that one symbol in japanese and chinese (and maybe other languages with the same issue?). And when you click it, all the characters in the selected block become single blocks. Then you can just regroup, if necessary. That would be really helpful.

1 Like

The poor word grouping capabilities of lingq were actually the reason why I stopped using it for Chinese. In addition to what you wrote, I found it extremely annoying to not be able to group the parts X and Y of a verb XY when it appears as
…X…something between…Y…
in a text. Maybe that has been fixed in the meanwhile? (if not, how is it done for German, where verb splitting is extremely common?)

I think it is a problem we all have, in Japanese and Chinese especially. There have been numerous topics on this subject and unfortunately, according to Alex, it’s a problem in the splitting software they use for Chinese/Japanese.

Your suggestion of being able to split words would be nice, but the combination 都以 as you mentioned is either because many users locked it like this or is because it just is the automatic splitting software/dictionary.

Personally I suggest looking over it and continue, eventually you will get the seperated meaning of the words. Also; do you use the zhongwen plugin for your browser? It helps me to get past these bad combined/splitted words.

Good luck

As cossiemickey says, this is unfortunately a result of our automatic splitting algorithm. Without this algorithm in place, there would be no splitting in text where a user didn’t manually add spacing while importing a lesson.

That being said, we do have plans to improve the splitter. It’s not a simple task, so it isn’t something that will happen within a short period of time. That being said, we are very interested in doing this and will aim to begin on this project soon.

For me, the automatic splitting algorithm is not the problem. I know it would require much more effort to make an algorithm group the words always correctly, and I think mistakes would still happen, since in some sentences we have to understand the context to know how the words should be grouped. And mostly the algorithm works fine anyways.

But when some words have not been grouped correctly by the algorithm, I would really love to have the option to manually regroup, since I cannot create the proper lingqs if the words are not grouped correctly. It is already possible to manually combine many blocks into a bigger one, so why not make it possible to manually split one big block into many smaller blocks?

Yup, this is basically the way in which we plan to improve things. It’s one of those things that seems easy, though after looking at it briefly late last year we found that it would be a much larger project.

The idea we have now is to allow users to manually adjust word boundaries so that they are adjusted for everyone. This way everyone will reap the benefits of any corrections to the word splitting.

At this point it’s just a matter of finding the time to do this… :slight_smile:

Sounds like a good solution, I’m looking forward to that! Good luck! :slight_smile:

the only thing I was able to do, when importing my own content, is split every thing manually. But this is not very practical…