How to create my own custom lingq quickly

When reading a text, many times I come across a verb I don’t know but want to make a vocab entry of it in its infinitive form. However, I feel forced to enter it in the form used in the text which I’m reading which becomes confusing later for review. The only thing I have found so far is the plus sign to import vocabulary, but this requires a cvs file. Is there a way to enter the definition to the word also manually? It seems I can only enter the word. I just want to be able to create a custom lingq quickly and easily while reading or listening to my text. How can I do this? Thank you.

select “Vocabulary” page, click “+import vocabulary”, put the word you want to add in " Import Terms ", and click “Import”

Yes, I have done that, but then I just have the word with no definition.

After you imported the term, go to your Vocabulary tab, find the term and click on it. You’ll be able to add meaning then.

Change the Sort By under Filters on the Vocabulary tab to “Creation Date” to show most recently imported/created LingQs at the top. Then you will easily find your added term and add a definition, tags, notes etc…

Yes, that is what I have been doing, but that is a very cumbersome and user UNfriendly process. I was hoping the designers had implemented a quick and easy way to add words without leaving my lesson.

We’ll see how we can improve it. Thanks for your feedback!

It’s also worth pointing out that the way LingQ is designed, you should save the form of the verb you have come across and not necessarily the infinitive form. The infinitive rarely appears in the text so you lose out on that opportunity to review. Wanting to learn the infinitive is a bit of a remnant from what we were always asked to do in language class. You do need to learn all forms of a verb and creating LingQs for each form you come across is an effective way to do this. Of course, as you get more advanced in a language, and have learned a few forms of a particular verb, you will start to come across new forms of verbs you already know. Not a problem, just mark them known or leave them blue and page them to known.
This system works very well in learning the verbs and is a lot less effort than trying to manually add the infinitive etc…

Yes, it is nice to see a full conjugation table for which reason we have verb tags in many languages which appear automatically on your LingQ widget and include a tag for the infinitive form. This tag is clickable and takes you to a conjugation table for that verb so that you can review all forms whenever you like.
The tense tag is also very useful if there are particular tenses that give you trouble. You can go to the Vocabulary tab and review a particular verb tense tag so you can see that tense across many verbs if you are saving all forms.
I recommend you try creating verb LingQs for each form and do this for a while. You will see that it works very well in helping you learn verbs and tenses.

3 Likes

Thank you. This answers my question better than the technical answer I had hoped for. What you say makes a lot of sense and I will start learning how to use the tags now (till now I ignored them as I did not understand their use).

1 Like