How often you do repetition of the words you learn? (Revise function on LingQ)

So, I am closing to 1000 words in German language and there is this revision feature on LingQ.
What I mostly do is that after completing every lesson, I revise the lesson and save the words in Google Translate as well which I often revise before sleeping.
The list on LingQ is increasing day by day and I am wondering how often you go through that list? Or do you just keep on doing more and more lessons?
Thanks for the help!

1 Like

I don’t like LingQs SRS system, as it tests individual words, and verbs in particular require context and the associated helper words e.g. Ich freue mich auf die Ferien. I put phrases into Anki, I find it helps as I have an awful memory, and often remember mangled nonsense. Some people prefer to just learn words via input i.e. reading text and listening to audio.

3 Likes

Thread

I hate spaced reptation system and reviewing the words what shoud i do?

answer to your question at least partially.

2 Likes

How often I do repetion of the words I learn?
NEVER !!
They will reappear often enough in the texts and videos with which I learn.

6 Likes

If you consume content, the content itself will give you space repetition.

I never use the spaced repetition system.

4 Likes

I don’t review in SRS. I have a very limited amount of time per day so I would constantly be reviewing and never progressing if I had to do that.

As others point out, you will see many words over and over in different contexts. That is your primary review. If you do like SRS or reviewing words then you’ll have to come up with a scheme to filter your review. i.e. work on SRS 10 minutes a day. Review only words from a lesson you just read. Or some other scheme.

3 Likes

For me, it depends on how motivated I am. My motivation ebbs and flows - some months I’ll read a lot on LingQ, but some months I’m not motivated at all. In the months where I am not motivated, I just read a page or two to keep my streak going, and I don’t do any spaced repetition, whereas in months where my motivation is high, I use the spaced repetition system a lot.

I do think spaced repetition helps to get words into long-term memory, so I should probably use it even when I’m not motivated.

1 Like

Personally I don’t use “memorization”, especially in learning languages. SRS systems (like ANKI) are designed to help you remember things you have learned, not to teach you things. I don’t learn things by being tested for a few seconds. If I didn’t know it on Thursday, I still won’t know it on Friday. That’s what happened when I tried ANKI (for Chinese).

Steve K points out that most common sentences do not consist 100% of common words. Instead, they throw in a few less common words. To me, there isn’t much point in memorizing the most common 2000 words in a language. The result is hearing “The ??? was ??? that day, so instead we ???.” To understand every word in common sentences, you need a vocabulary of more than 20,000 words. And that is more than I can memorize.

But many students of foreign languages use ANKI or some other SRS system, and find that it helps them remember words. If it helps, use it. But there is no “one size fits all”. You need to figure out what (how, why, when, how much) helps you.

2 Likes