How Many LingQs have you done in 1 Month? (best score)

Just out of curiosity. What’s your best score in one month? On creating new LingQs?

I’m trying to increase my lingq daily numbers and I have to say it’s very demanding and it requires quite more time. I usually check most of the words translations too.

How much time do you dedicate? For how long are you able to keep up with a high score?

Thanks

1 Like

but it was a long time ago, I studied at school at the time so I had a lot of free time on my hands

1 Like

I created round about 10,000 lingQs in the month of September. It is so much easier to create many lingqs if you are tackling a huge book in your target language. as was the case for me. I would have devoted more time but I was preparing for my academic exams in parallel. In addition to this, I never aimed for a certain target number. I was more into deciphering the language so I was creating the lingqs more as a side-effect but at the same time reading the translation and also listening to an audiobook in parallel. I am satisfied with my progress within my time limit and taking other priorities into account. Right now I am studying for my academic exam so I am just meeting the minimum requirement once I find more time I will pick up the pace again.

1 Like

That would be 100 LingQs per day, which is one of the target here. I’m trying to understand if I can achieve this, step by step. Thanks.

1 Like

That’s an insane number, basically 300 LingQs per day. I suppose it takes lots of hours per day. I don’t have this mental focus anymore. But it’s true that maybe reading a big book could do the trick. I just don’t have time to think about that right now, I follow any course that is already here in LingQ.

Thanks for sharing

Well, I was in the top 15 but definitely not in the top 10 , the topper was gearing towards 25,000 or along those lines.

In the last 30 days I have done 12,286 LinkQs. 3818 in the last 7 days. I look up every word that I am unsure of via two other sources. I have set myself a target of 30, 000 known words (on 20,000 at the moment). I’m having a great time doing it too. Enjoying using material that interests me and not the usual learning materials.
I do it throughout the day, sometimes on the PC but mostly on the phone app. while I’m watching TV.
Originally I set a target of 100 a day and found it was possible to double it. A couple of days ago I did over 700 in a day. 400+ today.
I am retired so I have all day to indulge myself in learning my first foreign language.

2 Likes

That depends, really. If you’re just starting out a new language, you can create hundreds of lingqs every day. 100 lingqs per day is a realistic goal, there won’t be any problem with that.

Not sure cause I never really tracked it that much, although I did often note how many known words I got. I don´t necessarily think getting a lot of LingQs in a short time is a good goal per say. The same can be said of known words in many ways but for different reasons. I think if you were a complete beginner and read a huge and complicated book in your language, you´d accumulate a huge number of LingQs, but pointlessly, as you´d understand almost nothing and learn almost nothing.

But if you are learning in a sensible way, which I´d assume you are and making sure your input is fairly comprehensible and you´re trying to learn by having enough repetition in your input (same words reappearing so you actually learn them), then the amount of LingQs you accumulate is to some degree a measure that correlates with your success and how much you learn.

I think a better measure is LingQs learned though and it may be one of the best measures of how much LingQ has helped you learn. My argument for that is how you could accumulate a lot of LingQs by reading stuff you don´t understand (as I´ve stated above) and how known words often tell you more about how much you knew before you started learning (imagine how many known words you´d make in a month of learning your native language for example or a language very similar to it, if one exists). LingQs learned truly measure something you actually learned though, as long as you are not using LingQ abnormally in some weird way that skews it.

3 Likes

Wow, impressive. I definitely have to practice a lot more. :open_mouth:

That’s a good point. In fact, I don’t like if I read something where there are too many words I don’t know. Because I create many LingQs but at the end I didn’t understand anything about the content. And I couldn’t even focus on all the rest of the phrases.

So, yes, I suppose a good balance is very important. I don’t focus much on known words as I leave it to grow automatically step by step.

But it’s true that if I force myself to read a lot more I can repeat many more times all the yellow LingQs I already have and so create more known words.

I think I have to take statistics a bit more seriously to at least understand what I’m doing and mostly creating more time cutting out other stuff in my life, in order to grow faster. Which in my case it would be just at a normal pace compared to others here.

Im the same way.

I only do about 35 a day, sometimes less sometimes more. I take quite a lot longer to get through text because I read aloud and listen throughout to work on pronunciation and flow. I also find reading aloud helps me to ‘just understand’ and not translate whereas often when I read in my head, even though I can read quickly, there is translating going on. What I’m currently aimning for is to read about about 2000-3000 words a day, which is about 1 podcast transcript of innerfrench

Like rokkvi I am finding that perhaps making lingqs is not the best measure for me; one could make 100s and not comprehend what they have actually read. In fact, I have at times (when pushed for time) chosen a hard text to get some quick and easy lingqs to maintain my streak

Additionally, I often don’t need to lingq variations of words because I understand the tense and the reason why they were conjugated in that way. e.g 1 person could lingq 1 word mutilple times through out a text because it has been conjugated with with difference pronouns, tenses and plurals etc etc. It really depends on an indivuduals method of lingqing!

Mainly I just read and enjoy and supplement with tutor to practice speaking and see how my french is improving for my purposes (speaking and listening comprehension)

1 Like

Yes, probably there are many different ways to focus on. And it’s true, sometimes we LingQ the same word multiple times but it counts anyway. If I still don’t understand a word in multiple times it means it’s much harder for my brain to retain it.

I also try to read aoud most of the text I read, it’s definitely a better process to work on.

Of course you should lingq multiple forms of the same word that you don´t understand, for the very reasons you just listed. It could also be quite hard to avoid it at all times, since you won´t necessarily note or remember that a certain word is another form of a word you already lingqed. I make it simple: If I understand it, I don´t lingq it, if I don´t, I do.

2 Likes

Actually, sometimes I lingq even if I’m not sure. Because it happens that I find a version of the same word I lingqed a few minutes afterwards. I remember it, yes, because I’ve just encountered it but I don’t trust that, so I lingq it anyways.

I prefer to have more LingQs than more known words that I’m not so sure. It doesn’t hurt.

1 Like

Yes I feel that if you understand a word just because you saw the translation a minute ago, had it appear several times in the text within a short period of time of reading etc. it doesn´t really count that you understood it and you should lingq it.

1 Like

I wish LingQ could somehow be connected what the translation I have already entered for a similar word. I know it might be not easy from a software point of vie but it’s frustrating when I have to search again on the dictionary and write the translation again! Even worse when the translation was quite difficult for many meaning of the same word!

Just a waste of time I wish I could avoid.