How do I get my blue words back?

Thanks, that’s a useful perspective, and that does sound like what this is designed to do. Maybe it’s optimized for people with a bit of preexisting “depth” to their study of the current language: “I can see that there are some things on this page that I don’t need to worry about.” Having the option to get rid of those at once sounds very useful.

At my level in Korean about the only thing I can make that kind of call about are things like English words embedded in lyrics. 99% of everything else is something I have to focus upon.

It sounds like it’ll be an increasingly useful feature as I progress in my study. I just wish it weren’t so easy to mistakenly invoke it when I didn’t mean to—I’ve done it a number of times, in multiple ways, even while actively trying to avoid it. Strongly implying that there’s something about the user-interface design itself that’s out of whack—I’m pretty sure I’m not this clumsy with technology…

Thanks for the feedback on this.We’ll see if there’s anything we can improve on the design end.

I second that motion Zoran. I think that it is advantageous to try and fix that issue as soon as possible. I have already encountered this issue a couple of times myself with French. I am trying to do the new view with French, and I am having trouble with the automatic Blue section. I don’t think it would be helpful for new learners. Granted it can be a learned habit, for someone to wait a second, but when someone is first starting as is seen here with this poster, I think it would be better to eliminate that function.

-C.

Hi CodeRed82,
That’s not an issue actually. Blue words move to known by default when pagging, but you can turn that off with two mouse clicks. Just click on the small settings button on the top right on the lesson page and you will be able to disable that function.
Also, new users will get popup notification when they page for the first time explaining that blue words will be moved to known and that they can disable that option.

it’s sad, isn’t it?

Yes it is an issue,

It has happened to me again today, when one of my enormously large file imports broke the new paging option and changes eight of my as yet unlinked blue words to known because the new version could not handle the lesson size.

Could I find these eight words that were moved to known?
Not a chance. Can I list my known words by creation date? I cannot find a way…

I keep trying to turn these damn settings off when I need to go into the new view, when I remember, but maybe because of my limited understanding of computers, my settings never seems to stick. Is this a problem at my end or LingQ-s end? I don’t know…

That would be a nice question to be answered.

All I seem to be hearing is that it is not a problem, from experienced LingQ Admin users, who I presume, know their way around the system, but for new and novice users all I see is confusion and frustration.

Me being one of them…

1 Like

You speak so much sense Pres…

1 Like

Found another situation where the blue words are unexpectedly removed: I created a LingQ for the final word on the final page, and it automatically advanced me to the Congrats page, where blue words go to die. I’d previously done the same on a non-final page and was mildly disoriented then too when it auto-paged me, so maybe an option to stop automatically advancing the pages would be nice. If you’ve LingQ’ed the final word on that page, then rather than selecting the next one (thus advancing the page), just stop there with nothing selected so I can see, and kind of grok, the page of text I’ve just been marking up.

But regardless, I just noticed something new (to me). Maybe the core of the dichotomy between (mostly new) users saying “This is a problem” and (highly experienced) admins saying “It’s working fine as is” lies here:

Am I right in now thinking that LingQ is set up on the assumption that you’re creating all your LingQs sequentially as you walk steadfastly through your text? So if you’re at the end of a page or lesson, then you’ve of course already created all the LingQs you’re going to create. So everything still blue must be something you want to dispose of.

My studying in no way resembles that. At my level, I often come across verb or adjective forms that to my eyes go haywire partway through. For these forms, often the community hints, automatic dictionary hint, and the results from consulting the actual dictionary all differ. So in order to understand the context I first create LingQs for all the easily LingQ’ed words in the surrounding text. Only then can I make a reasonable call about the difficult ones. This means I’m paging back and forth, cherry-picking the easy words first, leaving blue words scattered throughout the lesson. And the farther I progress doing this throughout the lesson, the more those remaining blue words become a concentrated collection of the most difficult ones that I most need to think about.

This is why there are always blue words remaining even though I may be working near the end of the page or the lesson. And also why it so messes me up when I involuntarily lose the blue words I hadn’t gotten to yet; those were the ones I most needed to focus upon.

Does that make clearer what I’ve kinda been babbling about here?

@Pres - Actually, that is an issue and we have made a change to this behaviour that will be available in our next release probably on Monday or Tuesday.You will no longer be moved to the next page when you mark the last blue word as known.

Nifty! Thanks for being willing to tweak things. Like I mentioned above, LingQ is a really good system, with just this one area that I kept tripping over, so it’s great to see it being worked on.

That is great news, Mark.