He's a really good dog

I am not sure “a” should go before or after “really”.
He’s really a good dog?
or He’s a really good dog?
or both are okay?

Thank you!!!

Both are correct grammar wise I think there’s a very subtle difference…Context around the scene might help…

1. He’s really a good dog - I feel this is emphasizing that the person being spoken too might be having a doubt about the dog and the speaker is conveying they “he really is” a good dog. Maybe the dog did something bad originally or the speaker is trying to convince.

2. He’s a really good dog - I feel like this is more just a statement being said matter of factly. The speaker is not trying to convince as much and just making a statement.

That’s my opinon.

In the scene, had the dog done something wrong? Or was there some doubt about the dog for the person being spoken to?

3 Likes

“Really” is an adverb. An adverb is a word that modifies a verb or an adjective. You have an example of both usages.

“He really is a good dog.” or “He is really a good dog.” – the adverb modifies the verb “is”. He really, definitely is … whatever, possibly in contrast to the possibility of not being so.

“He is a really good dog.” – the adverb modifies the adjective “good”. “Really” intensifies the meaning of the word it modifies, so he’s not just a good dog, he is a very good dog.

3 Likes

Thank you, ericb100.

Those are the lines from the movie, Nomadland.
A: Carl had a stroke.
B: Is he dead?
A: No. No, no. His daughter came and took him back East.
B: Oh. Yeah. But they didn’t take the dog?
A: They couldn’t take him. Would you like to keep him? He’s really a good dog.
B: No. No.
A: He’s real friendly.

1 Like

Definitely sounds like she’s trying to convince the person, although prior to her saying the sentence the one being spoken to didn’t necessarily express any reservation about the dog. I think either sentence could be used in the situation…She might emphasize “really” in either case to help convince the person.

1 Like

Thanks again!!!