Help with pinyin

Hello! My name is Sandra and I’m from Sweden. I’m new at this site and I really enjoy it a lot. I’ve been learning korean and japanese for a while now, but the language I’ve been wanting to learn the most lately is mandarin chinese and that’s why I’m here. I need some help with the phrase 欢迎来到. I can’t seem to find the pinyin for it and I fint it really hard to learn the pronunciation without the western letters. The first part seem to be huan ying, but I’m not sure.

There are many Hanzi to pinyin converters on the web. I chose the first one that popped up on a google search put in your text and got the following.

huan1 ying2 lai2 dao4
huān yíng lái dào
欢 迎 来 到

The converter can be found at

http://www.frelax.com/cgi-local/pinyin/hz2py.cgi

Just use Google Translate:

You’ll see a rough Swedish translation.

Now click on “Ä” in the right bottom corner of the Chinese textbox.

You’ll see the Hanyu Pinyin of the Chinese text: “Huānyíng lái dào”

Click on the loudspeaker icon, and you’ll hear it.

To learn more about Hanyu Pinyin: Pinyin – Wikipedia

I’ve used http://py.kdd.cc/ - just paste your text and click CTRL+Enter (or the button below the text), and voilà: your text pinyinized (with colour-coded tones).

Jeff, thanks for that link. Just a quick warning about it though: every time you submit data to this Chinese-only site, another web page seems to open with irrelevant advertisements. I couldn’t get Ctrl+Enter to work, but maybe that’s just my configuration.

About the color-coding of tones you refer to: as far as I can determine, the colors of the pinyin that this site produces do not denote the five distinct tones of Mandarin. Instead, the pinyin colorization on this particular site seems to indicate whether or not that character is known to be pronounced with multiple distinct tones. A clear example is 教, which may be pronounced as either jiāo (1st tone) or jiào (4th tone). Such ambivalent pronunciations are indicated on this site with pinyin transcriptions in a specific color - the default is red. As such, this is an interesting resource, because I’ve never come across a site that marks 多音漢字 up in this way.

One more caveat: the risk of using any ‘dumb’ pinyinizer tool is that some characters have multiple, totally unrelated pronunciations depending on their context. 樂, for example, can be pronounced as “yuè” (in 音樂 “yīnyuè”, music) or as “lè” (in 可樂 “kělè”, cola).

Oh, I just realized that another page seemed to open now and then (it kind of took the place of the clickable text area). Sorry about that. I’ve had good experiences from that site some years ago, at least.

mdbg works well for me