"Grammar Trolling" or why we should avoid grammar

dooo said: “…Studying pedagogical grammar in the context of input or output has never been proven to affect learning outcomes to any significant degree.”

I may be wrong, but I suspect that what you meant to say was: ‘TEACHING pedagogical grammar…etc…’

I doubt if anyone thinks it is effective to sit people in rows and force grammar down their throats. But the STUDYING of grammar is somewhat different - at least inasmuch as this implies that the individual learner has an active interest in grammar and is therefore engaging with it at his/her own behest.

I don’t really see how the study of grammar by people who genuinely find it interesting could NOT be effective to a significant degree?

“I don’t really see how the study of grammar by people who genuinely find it interesting could NOT be effective to a significant degree?”

I believe you are right to the extent could replace “grammar” (by which I assume you mean “pedagogical grammar in the target language”) with “current events”, “literature” or “the sports page” in your above sentence.

I just think this whole area is probably very complex, and I suspect that many of the studies carried out tend to ‘wash out’ some of the finer details. The precise value of the active study of formal grammar probably varies quite steeply according to things like: the age of the learner; the personal interest (or not) of the learner; the nature of the target language (analytic or synthetic); previous languages studied by the learner, etc, etc.

If I (as a native speaker of English who has studied Italian in the past) were intent on learning Spanish, I can see that I may not need to devote any time at all to the study of formal grammar.

On the other hand, my experience of trying to get into Russian at LingQ is that it simply doesn’t work (for me) without having a solid grounding in the cases. I can’t assimilate things if I can’t clearly understand them. That is just my experience - other folks may be wired differently.

I agree with your main point.

Ah! I didn’t imagine my post would start a debate! Oh dear…

pats self on back

My work here is done for the day :slight_smile:

yeah, english it´s very cool

Hehehe, you make me laugh Cloud. :wink:

It’s pretty obvious that grammar does help in learning languages. Even Steve, who is known for not liking grammar, says that he does read it a bit and it helps him to some degree. Me, as someone who does like grammar, gains more benefit from it as I work on it more, understand the terms better, and seem to have a better memory for it. Even just enjoying something can bring more progress with it, as we know.

One thing I’ve found, Rank, that the grammar you need to learn in analytic and synthetic languages is different. For more analytic languages, it’s about word order (syntactical knowledge) and synthetic languages it’s largely word-level (morphological). (Since there may be only one ‘word’ in a sentence). That might seem obvious, but many people claim things like ‘Chinese has no grammar’ when it’s only true that it only lacks morphological grammar.

Interesting thread, but those who say there is no data are quite incorrect. There IS a lot of empirical data that has been gathered and is even now being gathered to show that teaching grammar is not nearly as effective (and one study showed it had absolutely no effect on the students) over hearing and reading the language used in grammatically correct contexts.

There’s a reason children don’t begin to learn grammar until after they have learned to speak the language. Grammar is fun for several of us on LingQ because we like to learn languages, but it should never be our end goal (and we should remember that many people never learn another language because they don’t like grammar and that’s all they think it is). Our goal is to use the language in a similar way to what a native speaker would do. Let’s get people into the language first, then we can worry about the finer points of grammar. If you’re carving something in wood, it doesn’t do any good to fine sand it until you’ve finished the major part of the carving.

The current language learning studies have shown that learning grammar before you learn to naturally speak a language will slow you down in your processing and response time. Grammar rules are learned on the left side of the brain, whereas language acquisition on the conversational and reading levels comes more from the right brain. People don’t speak according to grammar rules. People speak according to what sounds right to their ear.

Here is a good article to illustrate this:

http://bit.ly/u3k0i2

Stephen Krashen has done some extensive study on this topic. http://www.sdkrashen.com

I’m not discussing the ‘teaching’ of grammar. I’d like to make that very clear. This is about me, studying grammar on my own, not in a classroom. I don’t think that those studies can really be invoked with nearly as much power in that light. I was ‘taught’ languages at school for years and never got anything out of it. But, studying grammar on my own - I do. Therefore, if a study claims ‘grammar has no effect on the learning of language’ then I can dismiss that study because I know it does have an effect on my own learning process.

Also, I’ve not proposed learning grammar by itself, because, to me, it’s a part of an overall program, which includes listening, reading, grammar and various other activities (speaking and reading when I feel ready for those). Why would grammar be an ‘end goal’? It’s a lever by which we lift the difficulties out of a language (as was once famously said). Certainly not the whole aim of our studies. Arguing that would be to ascribe a position to me (and others who use grammar) which they don’t hold - which I’m certain is less than proper academic behaviour.

I am able to use grammar to get insight into the structure of a language - quickly. Having a good idea of what your carving is going to look like, is a good idea. With a carving, you can imagine that or even make a copy from something you see. With a language, that’s not really possible unless you know a language which is closely related (or have an extensive knowledge of grammatical possibilities). In that case, listening and reading are probably sufficient but a read over of a grammar wouldn’t be a problem as you’d quickly see some of the major differences between what you already know and what you’re learning. That being said, I fully agree on its role of ‘sanding’ the nearly-finished work. That’s most certainly an important role for grammar.

I’m not a child and I’m not learning my first language. One big reason that children don’t learn grammar is simply because they can’t. Another is, that it’s unnecessary. Firstly, grammar has to be taught through language. If we were assuming they know nothing, then what can we use to teach them through? No. Grammar is solely used for the purposes of enlightening the mind to structures of another language or refining the knowledge of one’s own, through the use of terminology and comparison. This topic has nothing to do with first-language acquisition. This is a website for people learning something beyond than their first language.

As I’ve mentioned before, I don’t think any argument towards one single approach is worthwhile. Grammar + listening + reading seems to be the magic combination. Add to that writing, speaking practice, etc, and it only becomes stronger.

Your comment about people not speaking according to grammar rules is interesting Chalkbrd. I agree, to a degree. But, if they do not speak according to that grammar (I’m talking about structure, not rules and terminology) then they wouldn’t be speaking that language at all or at best, some-far flung dialect which would likely not be understood by other speakers. Surely you have an understanding of language variation. A learner - can’t learn multiple variations of a language at once (I’ve tried it! haha). To me, grammar can help us to learn those most common, most widely accepted structures. If this is a standard language, say Standard German, Mandarin, French or Dutch, which have a wide use in media of all forms, then we will be listening, reading and watching language which accords to those structures for the most part. If we would then complain that ‘Oh, now I can’t understand X dialect’ then perhaps you should have learned it to begin with. (Good luck finding resources, by the way).

These are just some of my thoughts. Feel free to ask questions. Certainly this is a very interesting topic!

Chalkbrd

I would be interested in seeing the data for your claims.

One thing you will come to realise is that many forum members are not clear on the significance of empirical data. They tend to reject statistical averages when they don’t match up to personal experience even though there is really no basis for comparison. Conversely they have no issue with making their personal experiences the basis for sweeping generalisations…

“Conversely they have no issue with making their personal experiences the basis for sweeping generalisations.”
Right, and I would go a little further. Even when people do not generalize and just experience something as real, it doesn’t mean that it is real. I might think that something works better for me because I feel it and experience it quite clearly, and yet be totally wrong for many reasons. Language learning (as any other brain related activity) is a very fuzzy business to me…

I am not a child and I am not learning my first language, but I do have “trauma” with grammar rules( I am trying to learn Finnish gradually on my own. I do have contact with the language, more than 3 years, for now the last thing I want to think about is how the language is structured, how the phrases should be build, the past, infinitive of the verbos etc) Before I atended some Finnish course( I could support only 7 days then I dropped out) with all respect for the teachers and students, I could not handle it . Those students were studying the language: listening, reading, exercises and a lot of grammar, explanation…some of then more than 2 years,3, 4 others 8, 10 years living in the country but they still can´t understand the language well. They don´t improve with all explanations of the grammar they have here, they say they don´t understand what finns speak!..and many of then “left the grammar experience studying” with a demotivational feeling, saying they are bad in the language, this language is too dificult… or worse some of then create a defense with the language like say I can “speak”, this is what I hear here. I think if some people, like Ymyirtseshen likes explanations about the structure of the language and if it feels good to study it go ahead but as dooo said:"… reject statistical averages…when theres is no basis for comparison…after all it´s only your personal opinion.

Basically, nobody can say anything without being called a liar and/or mentally deranged without have some (peer reviewed) paper to hand over to someone. “Look, here, proof!”

I perfectly understand the significance of empirical data, and know its limits. Statistical averages? That has absolutely nothing to do with my use of grammar. I suppose that my sweeping generalisation is ‘I gain benefit from grammar’? Nice. You’ll learn to read in time…

Stop pushing your dogma, it isn’t working.

There is no shame in being a Grammar Nazi.

Stand proud my brothers!

I have not seen so far one single post in Lingq pushing anything. Not from the staff, not from any of its members. People just share their opinions, and just because there are disagreements it doesn’t mean you are being called anything.
I understand that when you say ‘Grammar + listening + reading seems to be the magic combination.’ you are just giving your opinion, but there are those who generalise from their own experience, and that should not happen because it can misguide people. That happens a lot, luckily not here, that’s why this is such a nice place to freely talk, read, and get new ideas.
I do study grammar myself, but I have no idea whether it is doing any good or not. That doesn’t mean I am insane. I just don’t know. I like it so I do it, as simple as that. Whether dooo or Steve or others think I am wasting my time or not, I don’t care.
The scientific method is the exact opposite to dogma by the way.

Even Steve does admit that reading grammar is helpful. He says that it helps him to become more attentive to the language. I’ve heard him say that several times. He rejects that grammar is the most important thing, and refuses to sit down memorising grammar rules, out of a lack of interest and inability to memorise and understand them, but he does say it’s useful.

I study grammar, and I understand it all fairly well, I have a good memory for it and enjoy it. I know it works. The scientific method has no place in this, in my opinion. I don’t think that empiricism is the highest and only form of deriving knowledge.

In my opinion the scientific method has a place in everything involving knowledge, no exclusions.
I might be wrong, but I remember Steve usually says that he believes reading grammar is helpful. While you are saying you know it is. There’s a significant difference between beliefs and facts, but we can discuss about this elsewhere :smiley:
I simply don’t know if it is doing any good to me or not.
I love the way you write and express your views, I hope you don’t mind if I import your posts and use Lingq with them.

I also think people who study languages to be able to communicate with people in that language and to read and watch television or movies, shouldn’t bother about grammar either.
There are languages that don’t even have a grammar (that is, no-one has bothered studying it) and still people manage to express themselves in that language and even learn it as a second language. If grammar was essential, this wouldn’t be true.

I happen to be of the opinion, though, that knowing and studying grammar helps. It might be because I love grammar, I find it very interesting and fun.
Also, if you study a language to be able to use it professionally, then you really should study grammar too, but you should know the language first.

@Diego_R: “…Even when people do not generalize and just experience something as real, it doesn’t mean that it is real… […] …There’s a significant difference between beliefs and facts, but we can discuss about this elsewhere :D”

I don’t believe these are fair comments. Certainly as far as my own views (earlier on in this thread) are concerned, I would firmly reject any suggestion that this has anything to do with “beliefs”; rather it is based on a concrete observation of my own learning experiences and what has worked well for me personally.

However, I do not extrapolate from my own experiences to lay down any sweeping or general rules. On the contrary, I have good reasons to think that I may be a highly unusual type of language learner! (I fall quite a long way outside of the ‘average band’ in a whole number of other areas of life…)

@Ketutar: I agree with everything you said.
@Rank: that sentence looks fine to me, both outside and inside the context.
Well, in that case, maybe you can give me a hand. How do you asset the influence that grammar makes on your learning progress? Because I have no idea how to do so, and I have tried. I have tried to be more conscious about my own learning progress. And all I’ve got left is a feeling, the feeling that grammar is helping, that’s all I can say so far. What if I spent that time doing other stuff? I could be learning faster… maybe slower, I don’t know. I have tried both, giving more importance to grammar and skipping it altogether and still can’t reach to a clear conclusion. Maybe it also depends on what stage you are at the language, I don’t know.
My point is, how do I go from having a feeling or a belief, to affirm without doubt that spending some time in grammar is better than just reading more? How you guys can be so sure surprises me a bit.
Since I don’t know for sure I just do like Ketutar says and simply do what feels right and what I like best.
Sorry if my thoughts are a bit messy, I would like to be shorter and clearer but with English I find it quite hard sometimes.

Edit: Rank, you extrended my quote a lot, even merging two lines from different posts. Still looks fine to me.