Glossika's account removed by youtube

ad cribbe: I’m pretty sure there will be more products for Russian because he called the first product “GMS Basics 1”. It is very difficult to find similar products for Russian - I had been searching for years before I came across Mike’s GMS and his rather recent GRS (which I also love).

I even went as far as to write my own 1,000 sentences, recorded them and had them translated and recorded by a Russian translator. That worked very fine too and I am still very pleased with the outcome (especially since I chose the sentences myself).

However, there was much more work involved on my part and, of course, the price was many times higher than what I paid for Mike’s excellent product.

@ lovelanguagesIII

“I even went as far as to write my own 1,000 sentences, recorded them and had them translated and recorded by a Russian translator.”

Have you ever thought about seeing a psychiatrist about your language learning obsession? This must be some sort of OCD or something.

@Robert: “…I even went as far as to write my own 1,000 sentences, recorded them and had them translated and recorded by a Russian translator. That worked very fine too and I am still very pleased with the outcome (especially since I chose the sentences myself)…”

Well, this just goes to show that truly great minds think alike :smiley:

I have been using the LingQ exchange to do something similar over the last 6 months or so - albeit intermittently.

(Many of the sentences I come up with would probably worry a psychiatrist though - cigarettes, wine, women, firearms and chainsaws seem to feature with alarming regularity…)

PS
Oh, and both Christophe Clugston and Friedemann Rohr have made cameo appearances too - the former as the survivor of a horrible nuclear accident…

ad Colin: (…) …Have you ever thought about seeing a psychiatrist about your language learning obsession? (…)

No, because firstly, my health insurance would not pay for it and the money I would have to spend on any psychiatrist for even sitting down and listen to me would be a total waste compared to the wonderful learning material I can buy for the same amount (ok, this is not a very rational argument but as an addict I’m allowed to put things “into my own perspective” ;-)).

Secondly, I’d go nuts if I lost my obsession. So, I prefer remaining crazy and enjoying my own personal “walk on the wild side” (but I admit I sometimes wonder if I’ll ever get tired of it. If I do, I’m sure I’ll find something else to keep me busy. Actually, I’m pretty good at doing nothing too).

ad Jay: (…) …Many of the sentences I come up with would probably worry a psychiatrist though - cigarettes, wine, women, firearms and chainsaws seem to feature with alarming regularity… (…)

Personally, I’m not worried about your list of words but rather about the combinations of words you might come up with.

Chainsaws…women …oh my.

But then again, maybe it is all totally harmless.

You invited some women over and had a few glasses of excellent wine. After that you enjoyed some cigarettes when you remembered that you had not shown your newly bought firearm to the ladies yet. Why not impress them with your shooting skills? So, you decided to give it a shot :wink:

Since you don’t have a shooting range nearby, you dragged those poor ladies into a nearby wood to try and shoot some branches (you would have gone for some squirrels but you didn’t want to scare those beauties away). Too bad there was a hunky lumberjack (woodcutter) around who did not only thwart your plans to impress the lovely ladies but also received more attention from them than you appreciated.

So, you went back home and enjoyed more wine, cigarettes, looking at your firearms, thinking of the women and cursing that bloody (terrible pun, I know) chainsaw handling hunk and this is where I’ll stop because who knows how this story is going to end …:slight_smile:

@Robert

Here is one of the texts. I wrote it in German and Evgueny translated it and recorded it in Russian:

“…Ты видишь парня вот там? Да, его зовут Кристоф Клагстон. Почему он выглядит таким свирепым? У него всегда плохое настроение. Почему? С ним произошел тяжелый несчастный случай примерно 20 лет назад. Действительно? А что за несчастный случай?nОн выпил бутылку водки, но, к сожалению, в бутылке была не водка, а охлаждающая жидкость из ядерного реактора в Чернобыле. Чёрт возьми! И он всё еще жив! Да, он, очевидно, очень сильный мужчина…”

Make of it what you will…! :-0

ad Jay: hahaha, I wonder how Evgueny managed to translate that without dying of laughs :slight_smile:

I have to say, you have quite some talent for writing. My favourite part is Чёрт возьми! И он всё еще жив! lol

By the way, Evgueny has a wonderful voice and he certainly is an excellent choice if you look for high-quality Russian texts.

Does Клагстон speak Russian? I hope he doesn’t know where you live lol.

That´s an interesting story, reminds me of superheros…

double post

@lovelanguages
Yes agree, I also got both of them. GRS doesn´t really “work” for me, its to much english flying around, and it gets kind of messy sometimes also. But I like the idea, and maybe it could work together with the first one in some way.

@Robert: “…My favourite part is Чёрт возьми! И он всё еще жив! lol…”

As I recollect, the original was “Scheiße! Und er lebt noch?” One needs to know these things :slight_smile:

@Robert: “…Does Клагстон speak Russian? I hope he doesn’t know where you live lol…”

I doubt it: the думмес арсшлох struggles to speak English! :smiley:

@ Robert

“By the way, Evgueny has a wonderful voice and he certainly is an excellent choice if you look for high-quality Russian texts.”

He makes some excellent Russian lessons. I especially like his ‘Basic Paterns for Beginners’ course. He also has a Beginners 2 course where each lesson is a quick joke (I get about one out of every ten of the jokes). I also liked the German lessons he made with Reinhard (alleray) about German grammar.

Anyway, how many points would I have to pay you two (you and Reinhard) to record a conversation in dialect about paintball tactics while wearing masks over your faces? This would be very useful for me.

ad Colin: (…) …while wearing masks over your faces (…)

I hated those masks when I was in the Army, so you’d have to pay a LOT or say something REALLY NICE about interpreters next time :wink:

You mean misinterpreters?

Robert - Army?

I must see pictures

“Robert - Army, I must see pictures”

AtomroflDesTodesDasTötet^^

I’ve been wondering about this for a while - is this the same Glossika?
http://www.forumosa.pro/taiwan/post-directed-at-glossika-and-or-interested-parti-t6137.html
Sounds like there were some pretty fancy business maneuvers in Taiwan over a decade ago.

My take on that is it’s just another situation where Glossika was unfairly attacked or treated - but it’s really none of our business… Frankly, that particular link is akin to reading gossip…

ad Colin: (…) you mean misinterpreters …(…)

Oh, wow, Colin, you should have told me you are dyslexic, it would have made things so much easier :wink:

As for the Army, that was long before smartphones, Internet etc. existed. We had cameras but hardly took any photos of us in uniforms. I might have one or two though because I was also sent to Italy as a military interpreter and they even made a little video I might still have. I remember they took a few pictures then too.

I might write a little story about some of my “military adventures” and upload it to lingq. While I was one of the best at the shooting range (we used both the STG 58 and STG 77, STG standing for Sturmgewehr, i. e. assault rifle), overall I was more of a threat to my own troops than to any potential enemy (I was even excused from throwing live hand grenades while lying down because I did not throw them far enough ;-)).

I’m about the clumsiest guy you can imagine, yet our Army thought it appropriate to send me to the corps of engineers. So, all the disasters that resulted from their ignorance served them right.

I mean I’m dangerous enough holding a match in my hands, give me some dynamite and you’d better run for shelter (and that included my own superiors lol).

I was more like the “Soldat Schwejk” (a very good novel if you have not read it yet). The original was written in Czech and is a story about a Czech soldier in the Austrian-Hungarian Army trying to avoid being drafted for WWI.

ad Julie and Wulfgar:

I remember having read about that dispute a few years ago. I don’t know the details, I guess only Glossika and the translator involved know them well enough to judge what actually happened.

All I can tell you after having been in the interpreting and translating business for two decades is that you find an incredible amount of ignorants and crooks on both sides, i. e. amongst so-called translators (I say so-called because to date in most countries there is no regulation in place as to the official requirements to be met before you can start working as a translator/interpreter and I have received applications from “translators” who seemed to have trouble with consistently spelling their own name correctly) and those assigning a translation project to freelancers.

I feel Glossika’s products help me a lot in my studies and I enjoy using them. I read on another forum that some people found them boring. Fine, if they do so, I guess it is not the right product for them and there is nothing wrong with that. I wouldn’t buy products I’m not happy with either.

As for any other matter, Mike is not my pal but a business partner (since I’m one of his clients) and if he should violate any law in any jurisdiction, I guess there are law enforcing authorities that will take care of that.

Generally (there might be exceptions), I don’t like it if people try to bring their “legal case” to a forum where nobody can verify the accuracy of their statements instead of taking their opponents to court.

If I’m not mistaken the particular dispute at hand was also an issue on www.proz.com, a market place for translators/interpreters and their clients. They have a black list for customers not paying or for translators not meeting certain professional requirements.

I haven’t used the site for years, so I don’t know how they handle things today.