German Employers

This is a cultural question…not a language question. I guess this is appropriate for the Open German forum.

Do Germans negotiate with their future employers for higher pay? In America I never accepted a job offer without negotiating for more money (well, except for my first job I guess). Is negotiation a standard or accepted practice or is it a no-go zone?

Ich hoffe, es ist OK, dass ich in Deutsch antworte (eine gute Übung für dich)…

Ein Arbeitgeber wird normalerweise im Rahmen der Einreichung einer schriftlichen Bewerbung die Angabe eines Wunschgehalts fordern. Ein zu hohes Wunschgehalt kann bereits dazu führen, dass man gar nicht zum Vorstellungsgespräch eingeladen wird. Normalerweise wird während des Vorstellungsgespräches auch über das Gehalt gesprochen. Der zukünftige Arbeitgeber wird auf das Wunschgehalt reagieren und seine Vorstellungen mitteilen. Viel Raum für Diskussionen gibt es allerdings meistens nicht. Entweder man akzeptiert, oder nicht. Ich habe es allerdings auch erlebt, dass ein Arbeitgeber mehr zahlen wollte, als ich gefordert hatte. Aber das ist wohl eher selten, besonders in der heutigen Zeit.

You can discuss it but you should be not very strict. The question is how many others are applying for this job too? I cannot speak for the swiss, I live in Germany, and there are probably cultural differences, but usually there is more than one applicant for a job. When they look who fits they consider abilities and how “expensive” they are. Usually they know what they want to pay, and maybe you can be high or low on the range they have in mind. How hard do they want you? Or do you want the job?

The problem in Germany is that they prefer to say “no” and look for another applicant instead of negotiate for a lower pay. They simply they that you are not what they want. Belonging to payment German culture and American culture differs a lot.

Another point is that you have to fit into the pay their other employees get. They cannot pay you more than the experienced longterm employers …

Interesting. Thanks for the perspectives. Looks like I’ll have to play the game carefully here