Functionality to turn off automatic tags

The information provided by these tags is not very reliable and I much prefer to just be able to see my own tags. Is there a plan to enable a view where the automatic tags are hidden?

Thank you

6 Likes

It’s not in plans at the moment. You can only disable the “Show Tags” option completely. But I’ll add this suggestion to our list and we’ll see what we can do in future updates.

2 Likes

Ok thanks Zoran. Just to reinforce the point regarding how useless the automatic tags are; every single LingQ that I have created (apart from those for which I have created my own tag) has the following automatic tags (some of which are obviously mutually exclusive):
“Conguintivo presente”, “ghiacciare”, “io”, “ire”, “lei/lui”, “preposizione”, “presente”, “sciroppare”, “sostantivo”, “verbo”.

2 Likes

I also hope that something will be done about those tags. I have no idea how these ‘automatic’ tags are created, but they are mostly WRONG! Just like Salica, i am creating my own tags, and I only want to see those.
Also, it would be nice if we can edit tags (for each language separately): have a list somewhere where I can see the tags that I have created, and have the possibility to update that list.
Also, it seems not to be possible to delete all those ‘automatic’ tags: as soon as I delete the last remaining tag, the whole series of ‘automatic’ tags will pop up again. Very annoying.

2 Likes

The automatic tagging in many instances makes the tags meaningless/useless. They are frequently wrong or the connection between the tag and the item is so obscure that it serves no real purpose. I’m finding it difficult enough to get LingQ to work in a way that makes sense, and this is an additional frustration.

2 Likes

I don’t understand why it’s not a no-brainer to disable those automatic tags. I don’t see how they can possibly be useful to even 1% of the user population.

2 Likes

Agreed. Something should be done about this.

1 Like

Ok, I had this idea time ago but I have, in part, changed my mind.

They are sometimes useful, especially when they are correct; and they could definitely be improved.

For example, in German, or any other languages where they have more genders, it would be very useful to have an automatic tag for substantives. Unfortunately, this is not the case at the moment, but they would be useful.

It would be also useful to have automatic tags that would tell me if a word is an adjective, adverb, and so on. Or if the same word could be a verb, and substantive, and so on.

Some of those things exist already but they are not enough. Those automatic tags should be a lot more reliable to give confidence.

The only thing I find useful, at the moment, is to see the root of the verb, the infinitive form, when the conjugation is weird and for some reason it is not possible to quickly search it in the dictionary. It happened to me various times in German.

It would be great if it would be possible to distinguish from automatic tags and personal tags. For example with different colours. And, as usual, to have the option to have only automatic tags for the people that use them.

After few years, I’d say I stopped to think about tags overall. I would probably take them more in consideration if I focused on one language only.

1 Like