Free Pronunciation Analysis for Japanese ESL Learners

To Japanese ESL Learners:

I am offering a free analysis of your English pronunciation.

I will analyze a recording of you speaking English, and send you a description of your most common issues and indicate what you should work on as a priority.

I am extending this offer to the first 10 people who contact me.

For more information, read here: goo [dot] gl/iVtD2K

Thanks for this generous offer of your time and skills. I am sure it will be a fruitful exercise for anyone who tries it.

Just curious… is your analysis based on features in a particular type of Japanese, ie standard public broadcaster type? Or are there features of correct pronunciation common to all Japanese native speakers regardless of region. I am genuinely curious as I am not up to date as I used to be on these things.

Dooo…

I hope my introduction was clear: I am offering to analyze the English pronunciation of Japanese speakers. If I wasn’t clear enough, please let me know and I will update it.

“I hope my introduction was clear: I am offering to analyze the English pronunciation of Japanese speakers.”

…and Dooo asked you a question about it: "Just curious… is your analysis based on features in a particular type of Japanese, ie standard public broadcaster type? Or are there features of correct pronunciation common to all Japanese native speakers regardless of region. "

dooo - what is that in your avatar? It looks delicious.

alex - have you studied linguistics, or at least the linguistics of pronunciation? The reason I ask is because I want to post something like the following

“I wish I had studied enough linguistics to know how to produce correct utterances, given the scientific description and an audio sample.”

and sound like I at least know the correct field to study. Did I say it right?

@Paule89 – Dooo’s question implies that he understood that I would evaluate Japanese pronunciation. That’s why he’s asking what type of Japanese would be my point of reference. Now if he was asking whether the English pronunciation of Japanese learners vary depending on where they are from, or what dialect they speak, then the answer is yes, to some degree, from what I’ve read (eg. less devoicing and palatalization in learners from Kansai).

@Wulgar – I have a degree in Linguistics and I was always interested in phonetics and phonology. Your sentence is clear to me, but to be more precise, you could replace “Linguistics” with “Phonetics” (the study of the acoustic properties of sounds, such as the features that make up the sound “n”) or “Phonology” (the study of how sounds behave, such as how n becomes ng before k in “bank”).

I think it’s quite possible to learn enough about phonetics and phonology to gain control over your pronunciation without getting a degree. Lots of information is available online.

Thanks alex! Are there any sites you’d recommend to a newbie?

Sorry Alex, please forgive me. , I misread the text although it is clearly written. I happen to have just arrived in Japan now for a visit so call it jet lag. I thought you were analyzing Japanese learners` Japanese pronunciation. But if you turn the question around I would be curious. What would be your standard of English?

Wulfgar, it is a cookie… oatmeal chocolate chip.

@Dooo – dooo let people know about my offer :wink:

@Wulfgar – Wikipedia has more information than you could ever use. You will quickly get used to all the basic terminology. Start with “English Phonology” (or any other language).

@alex - thank you kindly, and good luck with the analysis