Five Grammatical Errors that Make You Look Dumb

This is helpful and humurous:)

I agree. It’s very humorous-especially the part about the oranges;) I’m surprised that “advice” and “advise” did not make the list.

In Russian errors like that with oranges are quite common too.

The best thing is this quote from him at the bottom of the entry:

P.S. You may find it amusing to know that I, like David Ogilvy, have never learned the formal rules of grammar. I learned to write by reading obsessively at an early age, but when it came time to learn the “rules,” I tuned out. If you show me an incorrect sentence, I can fix it, but if I need to know the technical reason why it was wrong in the first place, I go ask my wife.

This fits right in with the LingQ method and what Steve has said about learning how to read and improving (especially children’s) reading. Rather than trying to ‘learn the rules’ (or teach them, for that matter), just read lots and often and your attentiveness to the kinds of mistakes Ogilvy mentions as well as your general ability to read and write will improve on their own.

I used to hate seeing native speakers making some of those mistakes on that site. For example, “its and it’s”. In Australia, “there, their and they’re” are all pronounced the same and people often screw them up when they write. People often misspell “definitely” as “definately” and sometimes I notice “then” and “than” being mixed up. When I was at uni I found it a bit disturbing when we did group reports and I noticed these mistakes being made by native speakers. But at the end of the day, I agree that it is more important to be able to communicate than to write without any mistakes.