Firefox plugin

Have you got a firefox plugin? You know, if you are on a foreign language site and right click a word, it will come up with a translation. Then you can export it to lingQ flashcards. If you have, that might just persuade me to upgrade!

:smiley:

It’s something we’d definitely like to do in the future, but we don’t have one now. It’s a significant amount of work to do something like that, so you might not be upgrading for a while if that’s your primary motivation :slight_smile:

@gizmo2012 - Have you tried the Import Bookmarklet? It is a very effective way to create LingQs for words you encounter while reading on the web. Just highlight the article text, click the bookmarklet and the lesson is automatically imported into LingQ. There, you can, of course, quickly create LingQs and flashcard them.

The import bookmarklet only works for paying members, doesn’t it?

Good point Mark. At the risk of becoming a broken record, I find reading with my highlighted yellow friends (prevously saved LingQs) is the most effective waybto learn vocabulary. The bookmarklet makes that possible for any text on the Internet, just about instantly.

Vi7

Yes it is only available for paying members.

I get a daily email from TV5 (French) with links to all their news articles. The bookmarklet allows me to click on the articles I like the look of and then copy them immediately into my work area. A very useful tool and (Vi7) worthy of an immediate upgrade in itself if the feature is not available for non-paying members.

Thanks for your comments, Steve and Jamie,

I guess I would like to try it before upgrading in order to see if that feature alone is worth ten dollars a month. I use the free transcripts here, but I have trained myself to learn words in another way, so I don’t really need the lingQs. I only use the LingQs as a kind of notepod to review later.

I’m not saying, of course, that LingQ admins should not get paid. Absolutely not! I would donate if LingQ offered that option. In fact, I’ve wished that they would offer that option for a long time-basically an “attaboy” to say that I appreciate the site even if I don’t use it fully.

Hi Vi7,
it is really worth to pay for a Basic membership. You can see the 10 Dollars per months as a donation, that’s fine.
You say that you don’t really use or need the LingQs. As a free member you have not the amazing experience opening a new text and see all the blue and yellow and underlined words in a text. It is really helpful and it sharpens your awareness. Try it for one month and you’ll see! I “donate” the 10 Dollars every months knowing that it helps for offering the service of LingQ, and the further development of LingQ too.

Thanks all of you. I’m a bit like vi7 here and have learnt to learn words in a different way to get around paying. I think it would be better if the bookmarklet could be offered as a trial though, as in import one lesson and that’s it, you can only then use it to upgrade.

Vi7 and gizmo have a valid point. I’ve always found that software with limited full functionality is more likely to make me buy it than software with features completely out of reach.

Maybe giving free users a few goes before they have to upgrade would give them more incentive to take out the subscription.

Interesting idea. It is not hard to imagine the bookmarklet. Just import an item, then imagine you could do that by highlighting the text and then clicking the bookmarklet icon. Still it might be more powerful to let people just do it a few times. I don’t know what this involved in terms of programming.

However, in my view, the main reason for upgrading to Basic is to be able to hold more than 100 words in one’s database. This dramatically increases the effectiveness of LingQ.

This ensure that texts are full of yellow highlighted saved words, and all vocabulary review activities are rich and useful. Without a full database, the bookmarklet is much less effective since you sill see these yellow friends in the texts you are reading on the web. I might add the without a rich database, the LingQ app for the iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, does not do much.

My process is often to use QuickLingQ to create my LIngQs in my lesson or imported item, and then read it on my iPad, where I can click on all the yellow words to review them as I read the text.

So without an understanding of the benefits of a database of thousands of words and phrases, the bookmarklet and iPhone app may not be that appealing.

I see. You’re right, Steve. The bookmarklet would not be of much use without these other features. Perhaps I’ll wait to upgrade when the bookstevelet comes out.

Vi7 - I am hoping for a bookstevelet myself this Christmas… we’ll see what the big white beardy man brings…

Lol! Jamie, I hope you get your wish! I’m expecting coal, but perhaps I’ll get something language-related. I certainly hint enough!