Exporting LingQs

Hi,

I’m wondering if there’s a way to export all your lingqs at once. There’s an export function in each individual lesson, but obviously that would turn into a looooong proces. Also, in the vocabulary review section there’s an “import vocabulary” button, but no sign of an export function.

Any hints on how to do this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Chris

@guehla - You can export vocabulary a page at a time by ticking the box to select all LingQs then selecting “Export” from the “More Actions…” dropdown on the Vocabulary page. With this, you can export up to 200 LingQs at a time by changing the View setting to 200.

Hi I got 6000+ lingqs that I would like to export this would bi 30 pages
I saw someone have 50000 lingqs quite impressive, so who am I to complain over my 30 pages to export 200 at a time into different files to import in another software… I think you see where this is going.

Is there an easier way?

@wajsel - We had some problems with the export feature, and it was regularly timing out for members with a larger number of LingQs. It also didn’t previously allow the ability to just export a section of your LingQs, and defaulted to all of them. We therefore made it only export the LingQs that are shown on the page. We may look at refining the Export feature at a later time.

“We may look at refining the Export feature at a later time.”

The same answer since years …

Sometimes it would be better to admit that LingQ has no plans to improve the export feature.

I still hope that LingQ would concentrate to improve the user experience and LingQ’s usabaility as a whole (and I don’t mean colorful avatars and background images, etc.). Maybe you should declare 2014 as the year of bug removal, speed increase, and to bring features like export and others really to work as users would expect.

It would be also really great if the checkbox “Watching Thread” is unchecked by default.

Happy New Year 2014.

@alex
How about a bug tracking system for LingQ? If LingQ prefers having bug report through the forum, it’s also fine. But, at least, let members who are interested in can have a reading access to the tracking system to see which bugs LingQ is having, what you are working on, which priorities the bugs are, etc., etc. Once the bugs are fixed, they are shown striked-out on the page. It would be clearer than just saying “we fixed several bugs” in the new release.

Happy New Year 2014 :slight_smile:

I thought about setting up a public LingQ bug-tracker where we could complain… but then I thought maybe Steve or Mark would hunt me down.

It would be really cool to see what’s coming next… and not have cryptic Facebook messages like
“We hope you are all enjoying this holiday season! We’re putting something together that might be of interest to those of you looking to learn a new language in the new year. Stay tuned for updates!”

I mean, why all the secrecy? Let’s see a roadmap or a priority list. I mentioned it before… I think we should have a once a month vote-for-feature page for paid members.

Have you seen https://getsatisfaction.com/lingq ?

Wow. https://getsatisfaction.com/lingq/topics/improve_word_splitting_in_chinese_and_other_asian_languages

@xuedaolao - We don’t have any immediate plans to improve the export feature, but we aren’t opposed to doing so at a later date. I apologize if my message above is unclear with regard to this.

We do our best to balance efforts between bug fixing/optimization and development of new features/enhancement of existing features. We are currently hard at work on optimization, but we also want to continue moving forward. User experience is largely dependent upon the interface, and we’ve had many very positive comments regarding the new design. We hope that this new design will attract more learners to LingQ and encourage more existing learners to continue studying on LingQ.

@kigoik, spatterson - There was a discussion on the forum a year or so ago about this exact same thing. We did discuss it, but felt in the end that publicizing our todos would be a distraction. We actively listen to feedback from LingQ members, whether through the forum, through email or through various social media platforms, and this feedback significantly affects what we decide to spend time on and what direction we move in. However, publicizing this opens us up to the distraction of having to discuss each item and the priority we place on each item, therefore leaving less time to actually get these things done.

We often do go back to forum threads to announce when specific issues have been fixed, but for the most part members who are experiencing these issues will notice right away that the issue has been fixed.

I certainly understand the desire to want to see our todo lists, what we’re currently working on, and what we’ve just completed, but at the same time our approach is to balance both the desires of our existing members (and ourselves) and developing new features or improving things in order to attract more learners to LingQ.

Regarding the word splitter, absolutely this is something we’d like to spend more time on, and if we had unlimited resources there is no question we would get started right away on implementing some of the ideas floating around surrounding word splitting. However, if the word splitter takes a day to do, then it inevitably means that other things will get pushed back. Our approach then has to always take into account the priority and urgency of each specific item to decide where things should get slotted in. This doesn’t always work out in everyone’s favour, and even we have to bite the bullet sometimes and delay a feature that we’re really looking forward to, but in the long run we hope that our decisions are making the site better, attracting more learners, and helping LingQ to grow further so we can do even more for our members.

It would be nice to at least have a change log that we can look at after an update. I imported some lessons last night for the first time since the update and noticed the new tagging system. I don’t recall it being mentioned in the update announcement yet that seems to me like one of the best improvements to the site from that update.

Also, while I understand not wanting to deal with listing everything that is being worked on - and explaining why X improvement isn’t a higher priority, it would be nice to know what bugs were squashed after an update. There is a small handful of bugs that I run into on a somewhat regular basis. I know they are low priority and probably time consuming to to fix and that is why they have lingered for so long. After a big update, I have no idea if they were addressed or not. Maybe I’m not supposed to be experiencing this or that particular bug anymore. Should I re-report it? Should I wait? A change log would be nice.

@cgreen0038 - Last year for our “LingQ 2.0” update we had a thread going for quite a while where we were posting updates every day or so regarding which issues had been fixed. It actually ended up being quite a bit of work to maintain, and we still ended up having to post on multiple threads. I think it’s safe to say that if you’re ever in doubt about a certain issue please feel free to report it. We’ll then either add it to our list if it isn’t there yet or let you know about its status and potentially ask for some additional information that may help us reproduce it.

EDIT: By the way, here is the thread I was referring to. It ended up being quite long, weighing in at 27 pages: http://www.lingq.com/forum/3/16233/

Okay here’s a radical idea. Can I “buy” a feature?

Edit: wait wait, I missed this part: “We are currently hard at work on optimization” Music to my ears. Carry on

1 Like

Hello, I tried to export my links to my quizlet account, but it didn’t work. My source was the single lection… Don’t know, what’s the fault…

@Simona_Teresa - Are you using the Export feature on the LingQs tab in the dashboard? I just checked and this Export feature appears to be working properly. If you’re having trouble loading this list into another site you may want to contact that site directly, as the issue may be with their platform.

head ~/Downloads/lingqs.csv
abuelo,“[[”“en”“, ““grandfather””]]”,padre todavía están vivos. Mi abuelo tiene 93 años y mi abuela
acuerdo,“[[”“en”“, “”(acordar=resolve, decide, agree); agreement”“]]”,Estoy de acuerdo . Pobre de su hermano
aliento,“[[”“en”“, ““breath; wind; encouragement””]]”,“Will tomó aliento para lanzar un grito de advertencia, pero las palabras se le …”

I see that there are some “metadata” which is specific for how lingq organizes the hint data.
According to this export other programs would read the hint of abuelo to be [[““en””, ““grandfather””]] I think simply grandfather would be less annoying and less error prone when importing in other programs.

I’ll give you a few cents…
Could we get the alternative to just export the hint not the whole hint data structure, or could you split up the hint in two fields, hint language and hint?
And while at it, could you give the user an option to export the whole database? Lingq could hint about the problems with large exports and ask for confirmation. In this way as a user I have the option to try and also get the info that it does not work in all cases.

wajsel, judging by your usage of unix commands… it seems you know how to run a command line.

Download this to a file (lingq/get_vocab/get_vocab.sh at master · shaunpatterson/lingq · GitHub) and run it with 2 arguments – your target language abbreviation and your API token (see Login - LingQ)

example:

[shaun@shaun get_vocab] ./get_vocab.sh ru 28eaba4dXREMOVEDXXXXX
бостоне,Boston
в,in, into, at, for, to, within, inside, on, upon, onto
теракт,terrorist attack
политике,politics
о,about, of, upon, over
минут,minute

prints russian then my english hint.

Pretty untested but it seems to work.

Redirect to a file
[shaun@shaun get_vocab] ./get_vocab.sh ru 28eaba4dXREMOVEDXXXXX > all_my_lingqs.csv

Edit: I changed the script to output pipe (|) as the separator

thanks

Just had to make a few changes to be more compatible with another program
basically have the terms , separated, aggregate all hints with ; separation and fragment → sentence with {} surrounding the term

If you want the changes you can find them on
https://github.com/wajsel/lingq/tree/lwt_format