Exciting new changes to Lesson page!

I’ve used it and I’m sure if they were more prominent users would have made more use of it. I get always the same questions to my beginner lessons!

I’m sure I’ve added them. But I cannot they when they get lost. I have created more than 2,000 lessons, and a lot of them with lesson notes and/or translations. I cannot check them all.

It was possible to ask a question related to a lesson. Should we copy/paste the link to the lesson into a new forum thread now?

It was easier to answer if you could see to which lesson a question is related to. And it was very easy to open them from the forum.

You can still ask questions related to a word or phrase in a lesson in the Ask a Tutor section of the LingQ pane.

We may look at adding a comments or discussion stream for a lesson. Of course, we have to figure out how to make it prominent enough that people will see it while making sure it is not distracting for everyone else.

@job86 Just so I understand, you are trying to compare the percentage of unknown words in the same selection of lessons over time? I don’t think this is something we will do. You can use the blue words number as an indicator of difficulty but we want you removing all blue words when you study a lesson. Are you talking about lessons that you aren’t studying?

Sounds good :slight_smile: I’m looking forward to it.

Good to know. I guess he forum thread still includes the link to the lesson then.

Over the last five to six weeks I’ve been reading two to three NHK Easy news articles per day, resulting in a total number of 75 articles to this day. Much like many other long term, slow progressing and non-tangible self improvement activities I’ve been involved with I know that motivation is key and that tangible results is the king of all motivators.

So yea, I basically created a new performance indicator to keep myself motivated. And this indicator is basically the weekly average ratio of unknown words (yellow words after the first read through) over the total amount of known words in the text (the number that used to be represented in the info panel). I’m using weekly average (containing roughly 10-15 data inputs/articles) to minimize the variance.

Five to six weeks ago this ratio would range between 30-40% while my weekly average last week was 19% and this week it’s 16%. I find this measure to be very motivational because in my mind it gives a very fair estimation of progress with a certain set or type of material.

One way to implement this for people who aren’t frequently importing large numbers of small homogeneous texts might be to calculate the unknown word ratio for a very big sample size, like the entire lingq library for a certain language, over time.

I don’t know, and it’s not a big deal. It’s just that, for me personally, a few weeks of work is now worthless. It’s a bummer but nothing that you guys could’ve foreseen.

Ask a Tutor section - where is it?

Some questions about these “exciting changes”:

1. It was before the line of topic, genre and accent - where is it?
  2. It was before the possibility to go from a lesson to the whole course - where is the bottom ‘view a course’?
  3. It was possible before to stop the audio for a while and to continue from the place of stopping. It was especielly important for long texts - but there’s no this opportunity for this now.
  4. Where can I give a translation to some of my lessons?
  5. And one more question - For what is this big empty right half of the site? I don’t understand it.
    THe site is becoming more and more difficult for use.
    But I believed and believe - the more easier is the site, the more new members we’ll have!

And sure, blue word ratio is always something that sparks my interest but theres a fundamental difference in tracking the blue word-ratio as opposed to graphing unknown words after one read through. One is an activity based indicator when the other is a performance based indicator. One can boost an activity based indicator by merely by training/studying more.
It’d be similar to evaluating a gym workout regime by the amount of times you go to the gym. You could make no real progress but getting favorable results from your indicator, basically duping you. For that you need a performance based indicator. I actually think lingq, with its quantitative approach to language learning should put emphasize on the dissemination of useful raw data as well as activity, performance and efficiency indicators, instead of removing the means for end users to evaluate their time spent on the site.
I think this is an advantage lingq has over other sites which tends to emphasize more qualitative methods. And I think its a mistake not to embrace it.

When you look at a LingQ, it’s at the bottom of the dashboard pane under Examples.

@job86 We are looking at where we can make that information available again. We also have plans to develop more statistics for users to analyze their activity. Stay tuned. In the meantime, you will have to rely on the words read counter for the words number.

So deep inside!
Sometimes users had questions related to a whole lesson not to a term.

1. We made the decision to remove that information. We didn’t feel it was necessary here. The tags show when opening a lesson and can always be seen in the lesson list.
  2. Click on the course title at the top of a lesson to access the course.
  3. The audio player remembers where you stopped and starts from the same place.
  4. Same place as before. Just click the Edit Lesson link in the Gear dropdown.
  5. We display all the word information on the right, just like before.

We are making changes to make the site easier to use for new members. We understand changes are difficult for existing members who have figured out how to use the site. But, we get many complaints from new members about the site being confusing and difficult to learn. That is why we have made these changes and will continue to make changes. At the same time, we recognize that our power users are important too so we have to balance all requirements and find a middle ground.

@Ress Yes, that is why I commented to Vera that we will see if we can figure out a way of enabling these types of comments.

thanks i thought its gonna be left like that, if that would be implemented, then i can say im happy with the new updates!

The only advantage I see is the bar on the bottom was removed. Unfortunately there’s still a bar on the top.

Disadvantages - Now I have to change “modes” to open and close the huge left hand side window; more clicks. There is a loud noise when I create a lingq (ok, just turned it off).

The improved performance stuff you talked about sounds good, but why would you call the Lesson page changes exciting? The word I would use would be annoying. More disadvantages than advantages. I am glad that at least you posted something about it though.