Error in lesson (Korean, LingQ Mini Stories, Lesson 42 - New Puppy)

This lesson (and a couple of other lessons in this course) have an error.

The first sentence is:
“미영이는 새 강아지를 사고 싶습니다”

And the translation reads:
“Miyoung wants to buy a new puppy.”

Which is correct. However, in the 9th sentence, it reads:
“에리카는 그 강아지가 최고라고 생각합니다”

And the translation reads:
“Miyoung thinks that a dog is the best.”

The subject for the rest of the lesson changed from 미영 (Miyoung) to 에리카 (Erica), but the translation still refers to Miyoung. It seems that the name was inadvertently changed from Miyoung to Erica.

I’ve found similar errors in a couple of other lessons, which I’ll post when I get around to it.

Lesson 41 of the same course - Sanghyun goes to a restaurant.

First sentence:
“상현이는 그의 친구와 식당에 있습니다”
Translation:
“Sanghyun is at a restaurant with his friend.”

Fourth sentence:
“알렌은 세 가지 다른 음식을 주문하고 싶습니다”
Translation:
" Sang-hyun would like to order three different foods."

But it doesn’t say Sanghyun (상현), it says Allen (알렌). The subject changed in the middle of the lesson, but the translation refers to the original subject of the lesson.

Lesson 43 - Joo Young’s schedule

Most of the lesson refers to Joo Young (주영), except the last sentence:
“네, 벤은 그의 친구를 만날 약간의 시간을 가질 수 있습니다”
Translation:
" Yes, Jooyung can have some time to meet his friends."

But in Korean the subject refers to Ben (벤).

I’ve noticed that, in general, names are translated (or better, replaced) with different ones in the translation. Besides this making mistakes like the ones mentioned here more likely, it is not a good style at all. There is neither the need nor is it usual to replace names when translating a text, one of the first things I’ve learned in school.

Another downside of this is that it makes it quiet hard sometimes to check whether one understood the text correct, if the sentence refers to two persons of which one is the subject and the other is the object of the sentence, for example. In such an instance it is hard to see whether I’ve mixed them up or not.

As much as I like LingQ as a platform, this is a real issue, and I would suggest that someone goes through all the translations and changes the names to the ones used in the original text.

thank you, we will get these fixed.

Thank you for mentioning this. We believe we fixed the issues in stories 41, 42, and 43. If you wish you can take a look to confirm, and please let us know if you find any other issues and we will fix them immediately.

Thank you!

I looked back at the lessons.

Lesson 41: I still see many references to Allen (알렌). I counted at least 24.
Lesson 42: I counted at least 10 mentions of Erica (에리카).
Lesson 43: fixed

Hi, there are lots of little errors like these in the ministories for Korean, and there are in the more also some frequent misspellings and (what I assume are) mistranscriptions (of audio) in the more advanced Korean content. If there’s no dedicated native speaker or advanced-level person in charge of checking Korean language materials at LingQ, you might consider giving some editing powers to an advanced user/learner of the language or two to help. I think there are a few of us here.

@jaredredmond you can apply here: Login - LingQ

I’m just going to keep documenting the errors I see in the mini stories in this thread.

Lesson 44 - the title and audio refer to Sang-Joon (상준) but the lesson refers to Martin (마틴).
Lesson 45 - the title and audio Joon-Sang (준상) but the lesson changes it to Tony (토니).
Lesson 46 - the lesson text below talks about flying to LA, but the audio talks about flying to Seoul.
성미는 오늘 밤 LA행 비행기를 탈 겁니다

2 Likes

Hi, thanks for the heads up. I’ve fixed lesson 44 - most of the translations were wrong as well. Will try to fix the others today as well.

Hi again, the other lessons were quicker. Some translation mistakes in lesson 45 as well, and the title of lesson 46. I think these are all fixed now. Let me know if you find more!