English has become second nature and STAR TREK in language learning

@ force_de_frappe

“Of course, even the Ancient Greeks already understood that there is an indefinable essence to each individual human being which is separate from body and mind.”

I guess you already know what I, as a typical soulless astrophysicist, think about that. Writing it would just needlessly use energy in my fingers that could be better used manipulating cold hard equations.

@Colin: “…I guess you already know what I, as a typical soulless astrophysicist, think about that. Writing it would just needlessly use energy in my fingers that could be better used manipulating…”

“…cold hard equations…” - Phew!

While reading that, just for one dreadful millisecond, I thought you were going to say “my golf club!” :smiley:

Before we get into too much detail about my mighty Scottish golf club, I have a few comments about quantum teleportation. My area of physics is not closely related to quantum mechanics or relativity, so I can only say some of the basic stuff that I have heard. As I understand it, nothing about quantum teleportation (at least the stuff Zeilinger works on) is in contradiction to well established physics. This means information, as we usually know it, cannot be transmitted instantly from place to place. I also don’t think this kind of work is related to the teleportation of material from place to place. The article il_melomane70 linked to doesn’t seem to claim otherwise, if I read it correctly, but in general, you really cannot trust what is said in the media about any of this stuff. It is hard to appreciate just how inaccurate and misleading the media is.

@Shaun:
Thanks for your recommendations. I haven’t seen any of these series yet because I haven’t watched much TV at the time when they were popular.
Sliders sounds interesting and the commenters on Amazon.de says that the first two seasons are interesting, but they are no longer available, only from a private seller but much too expensive.
Quantum Leap is “Zurück in die Vergangenheit” in German. It sounds interesting too. But I’m sure it can not beat Doctor Who who is travelling through the time too :wink:
MacGyver sound more like an action hero than science fiction too me. Maybe I would like it too. But science fiction is besides crime stories my favorite genre.

By the way the first science fiction series I’ve ever seen was “Raumpatrouille Orion” (or Raumschiff Orion) from 1965. It was the first German science fiction series. It was a real “Straßenfeger” (street sweeper) at its time. Today it seems a bit funny but it is “Kult” (iconic). Read more about it here: Raumpatrouille – Die phantastischen Abenteuer des Raumschiffes Orion – Wikipedia
or watch the first episode here: - YouTube

@Melomane: Interesting article. We’ll not know what will happen but I’m sure the future will have some extraordinary surprises for us. If you watch carefully the old episodes of Star Trek you can see that a lot of the “future” has become true. At the moment I prefer to stay in one piece.

We took a break from Star Trek, but now we’re back! We have mastered the first season, and just started the second season.

I guess Doctor Who will be our next ‘project’.

The Original Series? TNG? DS9? Voyager? Enterprise? Man… every 2 or 3 years I get the itchy urge to watch all the star treks. Last time that was 3 years ago. I’m fighting the urge right now to pull out the DS9 complete series DVD set. Such an incredible series

Hmm. Maybe… I should buy them in German. 400-500 hours (or MORE??) of Star Trek is okay right… if it’s in German. Right? amirite?

I think you’re right.

@spatterson: If you buy the English version from Britain you get often German and French (sometimes other languages) too! The German version comes usually with the English version.

Well, I bit the bullet today and bought Star Trek Deep Space Nine Die Komplette Serie. The 100 euro stings… since I own the English version. But I figure there’s a good 30 minutes of German per 45 minute episode * 26 episodes per season * 7 seasons… that’s like 90 hours of quality German entertainment. I just hope “EU-Import mit Deutscher Tonspur” means it also has German subtitles…

@spatterson
Since I’m currently in Germany, I also tried to dig out some DVDs from time to time whenever the Angebot is available. One thing I pay especially attention to is whether the German subtitle exists or not. Yes, most of them also have German subtitles, but they are for Hörgeschädigte. It doesn’t match word by word what’s said in the movie. At the end, I just turned it off and enjoyed the movie in German since I know almost all the scenes or just turn on the English subtitle with the German dubbing.

I’m pretty sure it has subtitles – but the only way I found out was by reading through the Amazon.de comments. Anyway, I found 2 episodes last night on some streaming page. German audio, no subtitles. I think I probably understood 60%ish of the German but my English recollection of the episodes filled in the gaps.

Kinda reminds of that story: http://www.alljapaneseallthetime.com/blog/how-i-pwned-german-using-dubs-and-translations

I made similar experiences with French.^^

If you have bought the same version that I’ve bought you should find:
Sound: Deutsch, Englisch, Französisch, Spanisch, Italienisch
Subtitles: Deutsch, Englisch, Französisch, Spanisch, Italienisch, Dänisch, Niederländisch, Norwegisch, Schwedisch

Subtitles are usually shortened because often most people would not be able to read as fast as they speak.

I think it is great to have so many languages. That is why I often buy the EU version of such boxes because I get more languages for less money.

Well… FINALLY… after 2 weeks in Swiss customs purgatory my Deutsch DS9 DVD set has arrived. Now for the timeconsuming process of ripping the subtitles to .srt and importing them all into LingQ. I think… I think I’m almost excited to learn some German now

Slightly off-topic, but has anyone seen (T)Raumschiff Surprise - Periode 1? It’s a German movie that was a comedy / parody of Star Trek and other pop culture… it was on TV here in Australia a few years ago, and I’ve been looking for a DVD ever since (hopefully with Englisch subtitles as well as Deutsch so I can share it with non-German speaking friends).

@spatterson: I’m sure you’ll like it. We enjoyed it a lot. DS9 is the most interesting series of the Star Trek Universe in my opinion.

@syneryder: I checked the German Amazon and found at least no version :frowning: that is dubbed. The movie is quite funny but I cannot imagine how it is dubbed because some of the fun are the noices and accents they use.
(Edit because Amazon showed me the wrong movie.)

@syneryder
I know what you are talking about :slight_smile: I think you can find on amazon as well, like
http://www.amazon.de/Raumschiff-Surprise-Periode-DVDs/dp/B0002NSZNE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392819132&sr=8-1&keywords=raumschiff+surprise

:slight_smile:

Ahh, thank you! Looks like the DVD doesn’t have English subtitles, but that might still be good enough for me. When they showed it in Australia it wasn’t dubbed, but I think our TV station (SBS) made their own English subtitles for it.

And +1 for DS9, I’m just finishing watching the final season now and I have really enjoyed the series so far :slight_smile:

Well, I’m half way through converting DS9 to video, mp3, and subtitle files. I’m a bit amazed how terrible the subtitles are… it’s really quite frustrating. I understand they need to shorten the dialog when they are talking fast… but some things are just changed for no reason.

The character might say a simple one word sentence like “natürlich” and the subtitle says “selbsverstandlich” Why in the world would they do that? Or Garak says “Mein Name ist Garak” and the subtitles say “Ich heisse Garak” or “Ich bin Garak” What the hell

Edit: It almost seems like someone translated the English subtitles to German. And separately someone else translated the English dialog/script to German… It doesn’t seem like the German subtitles were based off the German transcript