Dutch verbs with preposition

How do you make a lingq when you have a verb that is separated from the preposition? It is very common in Duch. If you have only the verb without the preposition, it is not correct. And I don’t want the other words between them either. Can you link two words that are not next to each other into one expression?

1 Like

Can you give an example sentence? Then I can try to help you.

1 Like

‘Mike staat elke ochtend om zes uur op.’
I want to study opstaan, but I can’t make a lingq of ‘opstaan’ for the vocabulary list only ‘staat’ or the whole expression, or sentence. I wrote to some places a note - but it will appear in the vocabulary list as ‘staat’ not ‘opstaan’ or ‘staat op’.

1 Like

You could try to import opstaan: go to Vocabulary, then to Import Vocabulary. There it says: enter term. One term per line. I never tried it myself, but it should be possible.

1 Like

With the split verbs in Dutch and German, we don’t have a way for you to save these properly. However, as long as you are aware of them, you should be fine. You can add a tag for “split verb” to help you identify these when you save the parts. You can sometimes capture both parts of the verb if you select them in a phrase (if the phrase isn’t too long). You can add notes to help you remember. Keeping in mind that the majority of Dutch words are not of this type.

1 Like

sorry, i just saw your reply just now. Like Zoran suggested, I would also make a LingQ of the whole sentence. Verbs in Dutch may be a bit complex. It’s probably a good idea to buy a book on verbs in Dutch if you want to learn everything about it. LingQ does not give a high priority to grammar. [For example, for Spanish I also bought a book only for verbs, and it helps me a lot!]
Ik wens je veel plezier met je studie!

1 Like

For German I will often just save the main form of the verb (staat in this case), but also add a meaning, but include the prefix in parentheses…like (op)staat - get up
FYI…above meaning, I’m not sure if it’s correct or not, so this is just illustrative. So essentially I’ll have multiple definitions. The main “base” meaning without prefixes and then potentially additional meanings with the prefix indicated.

Others do this in German as well that I’ve seen. Some verb bases may take a variety of separable prefixes. This, imo, is really the best way to lay it out. I don’t personally care to try and save a full phrase or sentence because in most cases the words in between vary so much that you’ll never see that same combination again (unless going through your vocabulary or re-reading the specific lesson. With the way I describe above, you will always see this meaning/hint and it will give the hint that there is a possibility of a change of meaning due to a separable prefix.

Also, in many cases, LingQ is autotagging these type of separable verbs so that you can just click on the tag and it will take you to reverso conjugation dictionary for the exact meaning and the various conjugations. (not sure if that’s the case on this one in particular).

2 Likes

I’m making a chrome extension to handle this, will send link when it is done

I hate using LingQs, instead I put phrases in Anki to remind me of the usage and meaning in context. I hate the LingQ SRS.