Don't Study Grammar or Vocabulary - It Kills Motivation

I’ve recently posted a video regarding the idea that Grammar & Vocabulary study can kill your motivation at a very early stage.
After learning German and Spanish and dabbling in a few other languages, I found that especially as a beginner my motivation and progress dropped rapidly because of ‘traditional’ methods. What do you guys think of this? Did you have a similar experience?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3uzF2hQhcw&ab_channel=Joshua

2 Likes

I remember In Ukrainian having a teacher explaining me different constructions. My reply was limited to “OK” as I didn’t know what else what I could say. It was quite boring. I remember in a text book that a lof of vocabulary was intoduced in each chapter. It ended with me being lost with too many words I have not acquired. I remember I was abble to terminate assimil method in Japonese. But I had to restart the method numerous time. Pace at which I was progresing was slower than the pace of the method. Also when you get your vocabulary from small texts, you have no way to review words often. I was restarting to review those texts. I agree also with you about flashcards. You loose a good part of the context needed to retrieve meaning with flashcards. And I really hate vocabulary list. I plainly refuse to work with them.

2 Likes

Quite good just to skim the basic grammar to have the loose pieces of the puzzle somewhere back in the head. I have a 300 page grammar book and I just read a few pages in it now and then when I feel for it not actively trying to memorise or repeat anything.

Then when reading and listening to other more interesting stuff the brain will now and then pick up a piece and put it right.

2 Likes