Do you use Lingq's SRS algorithm?

I don’t know if I should use it or not,please help me

need more casual courses, i see only las reviewed

A late reply, however …

I don’t use LingQ SRS and that is because I think it is poor, and worse than useless. For example, take the French verbs demander and exiger, which loosely translated mean to ask for. LingQ might lead to you learning that they both mean the same thing. They don’t, one is much more forceful than the other. And how do you use them? Learning the verb on its own does not tell you how to actually use it. Does it need a preposition, if so which? And how do I add in the recipient of the request? Well, I could for example say Elle lui demande de le faire, or even Je demande à Paul de le faire.

So, in my opinion LingQ SRS is almost useless. I like Anki, and I use it to review phrases, and individuals words for which the meaning is clear. Thus Le merle means the blackbird and saborder means to scuttle.

2 Likes

I personally don’t use SRS at all.
In my opinion words should be drilled in context or they don’t stick in my head. Sometimes I do a “word quiz” in the current lesson, then reread it once again.
But you can have other preferences. There is no the “correct” way to use Lingq.

I also don’t use SRS at all. I did in the very beginning using another app, Memrise that had a specific A1 course (this course only exists for legacy users). They do have new versions of the courses for all the languages.

In any event, once I got to LingQ I stopped using SRS altogether. The number of words to review becomes overwhelming once you hit a certain stage in your learning. So if SRS still interests you beyond that level you really need to limit your time with it and don’t expect to get through the review of all words (unless you have hours and hours to spend). That’s not to see it isn’t useful…some find it quite useful. I prefer the “natural” SRS that the core function of LingQ provides (through reading and listening) rather than the SRS functionality itself.

As you get to higher levels where words you are learning appear less and less others have found it helpful. I’ve still not found a way to incorporate it into my schedule such that it would be sufficiently useful.

1 Like

I do not use it at all.

1 Like

I don’t like the built in flash card system. It doesn’t give users enough control over the process and the cards. Instead I copy and paste words or sentences etc into Flashcards Deluxe. It’s like Anki but a bit easier. I also use Chao GPT to get example sentences. I find they’re better than the sentences from the text I’m reading unless it’s meant for learners but most of what I read is for natives.

I love LingQ but it has a lot bugs and flaws. The flash cards are one of them. I assume it’s because it’s made by people that really don’t use it anyway - I don’t think SRS is a tool Steve likes to use. An app author for a now defunct app Japanese e-reader also added a flash card system to his app but it was nowhere near as good as other flash card apps like Anki. Or even the built in Midori dictionary app. I asked for some changes to make exporting vocabulary easier and he accommodated me but asked what was wrong with his flashcards… I didn’t say this but if you have to ask I don’t think you’ll understand the answer. But simply put you probably need to be someone who likes and uses flash cards to make an a good flash cards app.

I do use LingQ’s SRS system. I think people get way too worried about the particular spacing of SRS systems, and it’s easy to get caught up in fine-tuning SRS, to the point where you’re spending more time creating flashcards than you are actually learning a language.

Basically, I think any SRS system is beneficial, and for me, LingQ’s SRS system removes a lot of the tedium of creating databases/flashcards and fine-tuning SRS systems that I’ve run into with systems like Anki and Memrise. It may not be the best SRS system, but at least I don’t have to fiddle with it or waste hours curating a flashcard collection.

1 Like

I do use it.

Only for the level 2 and above, and just quickly, to see the words and the translation/prononciation.
When I spend 1h in LingQ, there is 5 min of SRS. I found it very usefull, because everytime you faced those words, they managed to stuck somehow !