Deeplearning is not better than google, sometimes it is worse

Both deeplearning and google can be wrong, but I find more and more the google to be correct more often than deeplearning, where it used to be on a par. The example I have here is one where deep learning is 180 degrees wrong i.e. gives the opposite translation of what it means. This is the sentence in Finnish;

“Viime viikkona Venäjä on hyökännyt voimakkaasti Avdiivkassa.”

The translation of deep learning is:

“Over the past week, Russia has been under heavy attack in Avdiivka.”

Google translate gives:
“In the last week, Russia has attacked strongly in Avdiivka.”

The issue is “on hyökännyt” which means “has attacked”. Deep learning poses the opposite of what the sentence in Finnish means. I checked this with my Finnish teacher, google is right, deepl is wrong. I also checked the translator sites of google and deepl. Same difference.

It might be a good idea to have the translation engine an option for the reader so the user can choose the default. Or even check a specific translation with a different translator.

1 Like

I translate this as ‘being last week Russia has attacked strongly in Avdiivka’

(-na) as/being (essive)
(-nyt/nut) has/been (perfect tensed)
(-sti) -ly (adverb)

What you are seeing is the phrase being rearranged to fit an English speaker. We both know what that sentence means without a translation (having studied for years)

Does the google translate in feature in the dictionaries take care of phrase translations? not as fast as show translation but a workaround of sorts.

If you want to try out Master LingQ extension send me a message it can auto translate your lesson sentence by sentence with google translate or deepL

1 Like

Thanks for the response. No, I had no trouble with sentence, but I was put off by the diametrically wrong translation of deepl. Google translate was correct.

Remark that the essive is the choice of the speaker. Normally I would expect an adessive in place. I got such a remark from one of the Finns as well.

I don’t know about the Master Lingq extension, but I do wish the default translation engine in Lingq would be configurable. I have used an extension from google for on-page translation. In Lingq I sometimes use it to see a translation when I am doing “edit lesson” or “edit sentence”.

By the way, it was not a phrase, but a sentence in a podcast where I had the podcast transcripted. I posted a different post about why I use an external transcriptor.

Thanks.

1 Like

I agree with this and I think we asked for that in the past as well, when they first introduced DeepL. I also preferred Google Translate to DeepL, it was giving to me more consistent results. But others found the opposite.

I suppose it depends on the starting and target language, they might have different strong points in different combinations.